Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(65 coupe) My fuel gauge and temp gauge don't work. I'm only reading about 4 -6 volts on one side of my constant voltage regulator (the side coming in from the ignition switch) and 0 volts on the other side. I was thinking I would read 12V on one side and then some regulated voltage at the output side. What should I read and how do I interpret the readings I have? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You should read 12V on the input side and 4-6V on the output side. Disconnect the input wire and check the voltage to ground. If it is 12V without the regulator attached then your CVR is definitely shot. Mine acted the same as yours and after I replaced it everything worked.

Frank

·
Registered
607 Posts
It should be 12V in and the output will be alternating between 12V and 0V. It's basically a switch that just opens and closes, that averages out to around 5V.
I pulled the guts out of mine and put an electronic 5V regulator inside the case. It was less than $1 from radio shack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts