Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm having an issue with a wheel adapter I got from CJ pony

The main issue is when I install the adapter with the large spring that is behind the stock steering wheel, the little pins on the adapter do not reach the signal cancel arms on the column.

If I install with the spring out of the colum, the pins just barely reach, BUT the steering wheel has a slop slop. Slop as in between the bearing and the steering rod.

The signal cam that was on the stock wheel does not fit the adapter. I call scott drake and they just said the pins would likely need to be bent to cath the arm, but that's not the issue. the length of those pins are. I tried pulling them out with vice grips, but no go on that either. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
35,242 Posts
Strange. I suspect you should not leave the roll pins installed on a 68 wheel. The nylon cam you show does that job, that's why there's a slot milled in the hub.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. Strange. I can't quite figure out why I'm having issues. I was worried maybe the previous owner took parts from another model to make it all work, but no. I checked with the manual, my column looks to be 100% correct with the spring, etc. When I spoke with a rep at CJPP, they said the cam is not required, and the pins are correct. The the cam from my original steering wheel is too large for the inner hub of the adapter.

·
Registered
35,242 Posts
Ah, the pins are compensation for having made the hub too large. Remove them and install longer pins.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
To pull the pins further out can you grab on them with the vise-grips and use the inner collar as a fulcrum to pry them out? A squirt of penetrating lube may help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. Pulling those pins and adding longer ones are my best bet. Problem is, I can't get them to budge. I've crimped one flat with vice grips trying to loosen them. I'm surprised they are in that damn tight considering they are pressed in.

I've searched around... I'm surprised that I'm the only one having this issue with the adapter and tilt-away-steering column.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried to pull those pins. The snapped off at the base. Rather than trying to drill them out, I drilled and tapped 8-32 holes beside each pin. Grabbed two 8-32 screws and thread them in to test fit. Turned out I needed just over a 1/4" more in length from the original pins. Cut the screw heads off then put the screws back in with thread-lock. Done. Worked perfected. Cancels the signal maybe a half second earlier. No biggy. And like always, I forgot to take a picture of the modification before I installed everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts