Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait, I finally rebuilt my engine and replaced the clutch with a RAM type. Now the ZBAR is bending and I can't figure it out. (67 Fastback, 289, 3 Speed, in storage since 1973)
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I ran into a similar problem, and I was partly the cause. The orginal Ford z-bars were made of high quality steel, that could stand the stress. If you have re-bent your z-bar to clear headers, etc., then you may have weakened it. Especially if you heated it.

If you are using a repro z-bar, it is just not strong enough. I did both things, and the final solution was to reinforce the z-bar by welding additional 1/8" plate steel to it.

Randy

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Man a 67 Fastback in storage since 73, Thats sweet. A friend of mine had the same problem in his 68 he did as the first poster did, he took car and all to weld shop so welder could weld braces for clearance, it works good. Good Luck Dave...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I used to run a really stout 3-finger pressure plate from Hayes.
It didn't take long for it to bend my Z-bar...

I bought a new Z-bar and welded some metal stock to reenforce it and haven't had any problems since (8 years now).

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It just shows what kind of forces there are. I have broken the rod going through firewall. Now I have linkage from 68 and the lower rod has now bent. I have HiPo pressure plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts