Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Mustang sells, I'm going to buy something else to drive. At first, I was looking for newer Mustangs. But any good ones cost more than I'm selling my car for ($4.5K). And I'm trying to spend less than that on my next car. So my mom says to me, "Well, since you're all into off-roading now", (see previous post), "maybe you should get a cheap, reliable truck". Which really got me thinking. I think I would enjoy owning a truck. Something I could beat up a little, and use, and really enjoy.

Now, I'm looking for what I want. I'm not sure if I want a full size (like an F150, or something similar) or a small size (like a Ranger, or something similar). What are some of the upsides/downsides to each? I probably won't be doing any really heavy towing, but I might want to pull a trailer with a small car (such as the Corolla in my previous post) every once in a while.

I want something that I can have some fun in. How do F150's handle off-roading? Or like off-road courses? You know, trails and stuff. What about Rangers? Also, how quick are they usually? I don't want some big, slow pig that will be boring on the street.

Another issue is reliability. I'm thinking something from the mid-90's on up. What kind of mileage are most newer engines good for? Should I stick away from a truck with more than, say, 60K miles? Or should I look for more or less?

Also, are there any trucks I should stay away from? Like do Dodge Rams give up the ghost after a certain point? Or do Sonomas end up in the shop every month?

Thanks in advance for the help. Also, if you guys think of any factors I may have forgotten, or have any question for me to help narrow it down, go ahead and ask. I just want to find the right one for me.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Why are you selling the mustang???? I've spent the last 1/4 of my life spending practically every dime so that one day I COULD drive my mustang :p

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Brad:

Not sure how old you are, but I just read your post, and wanted to give you some advice.

I'm 39 years old, and restoring the vert in the sig pic for my son. My first car was a 68 fastback, that I sold after about 18 months, because I wanted a four wheel drive. I got a cool jeep, and had some fun, but off-roading results in more broke stuff, more often, than hot rodding does. So, unless you're planning on having a different car as a daily driver, make sure you live near the bus stop, cuz you're gonna be needing alternate trans fairly often.

I've also spent most of the past 20 years or so regretting selling my car. And spent most of the past 10 making ridiculous offers to my brother in law to try and buy it back (that's a long story, but it's out there, it's begging me to bring it home, and he won't budge).

Unless you're in a financial situation where you've gotta unload the stang, I'd recommend hanging onto it.

Trucks are a dime a dozen. Plus, you'll just want to start spending additional money on that. And, until you get at least $15 or 20k into an F150, you're not going to have anywhere near the "wow" factor of what you have right now.

Greg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so maybe a truck isn't a good idea. At least for off-roading. So what options would you guys recomend? I have about $7K to my name.

My car needs probably $5-6K to be a good daily driver.

I can sell my car for $4K, and use that for a nice used car.

I can both sell my car, and use some (but not all) of my own money to buy a nicer car.

I am about to go into college, and move out, and I don't really want to spend all my money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in college now, too, and I thought seriously about selling my car for a time period, but I am so glad that I didn't. I wouldn't sell it if I were you. Just put whatever you can whenever you can into it. Keep it driveable and when you have extra money, you can put the money into the car to make it nicer or, not... I wouldn't sell it, but its your car.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Forget selling the mustang...forget buying another car.

Are you living on a campus with a dormitory? Living near the bus to campus? Living within walking distance?

I didnt have a car at college until the end of my senior year. BUt I also had a 68 RS camaro that I had at home in dry storage. I would work the summers and the money I (didnt have) in the bank (had it in cash at home for loan purposes) made life at school a lot easier. And I was always taking a girl to the movies on a friday or saturday. The long walks made for great conversation.

Basically, if you are going to school full time, studying properly and being involved on campus, and living on or close to school, or near public transit. There really isnt a need for a car except to goof off or convenience.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Shoot for the stars! Keep the Mustang and get a truck. You can do it. Set a goal and achieve it. There is no reason we can't have it all. It might take you a little longer, but your young you have time. DOOO IIT!

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Like everyone says keep your Mustang if you can. You can buy an '87 - '93 Mustang for pretty cheap & still have some good performance & money left over. If you have to buy an old Honda or an old Toyota truck. If they are in decent shape they will give you plently of years of service with low maintenance. Obviously if you really don't want the Mustang you should sell it regardless of what we are saying. Good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with others, keep the Mustang and get a cheap truck. I recently purchased a 1977 F-150 for $1500. The original paint looks good, and this was before they started adding alot of the computers and crap. It is easy to work on, reliable, and gives me something to drive on bad weather days when the Mustang or Harley won't do. You WILL regret selling the Mustang.

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts