Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone tell me if in 1967 you could get the GT add on installed at the dealer level and be classed as a GT or to be classed as a GT did it have to be done at the factory. I have looked at a car to purchase ( only seen pictures) that has GT badges and the noticeable GT options but the Marti report does not show it as a purchased option. I know there are ways to id a true GT if I could look closer than the pictures. Would this car be classed as a GT?
Thanks

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
Nope. If Marti report doesn't show it then it's not. It should have a GT option in the report if it was one. Mine was a Sport Sprint car and it shows that in the report.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,636 Posts
I am not sure what you mean when you use the word "Classed". Unlike Corvettes, there is no Bloomington Gold or other "certificate of authenticity" that I know of for a '67 Mustang GT.

If you mean "original" or "genuine", a savvy buyer will often demand documentary proof of such a claim (provenance) before agreeing to pay a premium for that car. There is nothing wrong with retrofitting GT equipment to a non-GT Mustang if the owner likes the look. It's just dishonest to pass that car off as original if it isn't.

In '67 the GT package (Performance Image Option) as a factory installed option (as confirmed by such things as the Marti Report) is the generally accepted standard of proof of "original" GT. If you are trying to confirm a claim of original GT the burden is generally on the person asserting the claim to prove it. All of the cosmetic components of the GT package were available over the counter as a Ford accessory and dealers and customers were able to order those items for installation at time of purchase or later. In those cases were a new Mustang was customized by the selling dealer as part of the new car sales transaction, the GT components should be listed in the sales contract and while not factory installed, a "day 2" upgrade that is documented, some might consider it to be the next best thing to an "Original" factory GT equipped car.

To pay more for a GT car that is a "clone" or "tribute" or "replica" is a personal choice. If the car you are looking at meets your criteria, make an offer based upon the car not being a factory original GT and see what the seller does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly as I thought it should be. If it didn't come from the factory as a GT it never would be a GT no matter what. A lot of people buy the options to make them look like one. Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Willy 1 - don't be afraid to put your location in your BIO. I'll help us answer some question.

Now, not knowing your location, stangs "built" on the east coast would have had a "Buck Tag" attached to the fender apron. If not lost. Most likely near driver side hood hinge. This tag would have had the vin # stamped on it as well as list options, one being "PIO" as Jeff stated earlier. Meaning factory GT/A. If missing Marti does redo them. They did one for my 67 GT vert.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
There is no such thing as a "Dealer GT"..... Never was....Never will be...

Sure you could add a lot of the GT parts.....but that in no way would make the car a "GT".....

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
342 Posts
That was a big upgrade back in the day! GT package and deluxe interior. I believe the option came out around February of 1965?
Earliest factory GT and deluxe interior car that I previously owned was March of 1965 build date. It only had one factory punched fog lamp wiring hole through the radiator. Not sure why. Oh, and it was a hipo k code too!
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
It had to be done when the car was ordered, then Ford would build it as a GT. Dealer jobs don't qualify. You could buy the fog lights, etc but no dealer I heard of changed out the suspension for heavy duty, or installed power disc brakes over the counter as a "day 2" purchase.
Either the Marti Report or the original dealer invoice would verify it, or the buck tag as noted above, but not all Mustangs came with the buck tag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally agree dealer installs do not make a factory GT. But I am sure there are a lot of unaware mustang owners around the country that think they own a GT mustang when in reality they do not. Simply because they took someone's word for it that that is what it is. I have never been lucky enough to find a car for sale that has still had the buck tag on it. To me it seems the only way to know what you are getting when buying a car is get the Marti before purchase.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
In fact the only 1967 Mustang that couldn't be ordered as a GT was the T code 6 cylinder. All other cars (V8's of course) could be ordered as a GT. Only K codes and S codes could be ordered, additionally, with the Competition Handling Package, but these were quite rare.
The Deluxe Interior ("Interior Decor") package, Exterior Decor package, etc. were all separate options, which T codes could order as well.
As far as packages go, when my father ordered my car, the salesman asked if he wanted the "GT350" package for an additional $940. He declined...... :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jfstang your father would have had a very good return on his $940.

Yes there are a few ways of identifying a GT car. I did not know that in 67 all 8 cylinder cars could be GTs. Good information.
Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
ronlgrove

that was true in 65 and 66 but in 67 you could get a gt with a c code a code k code and a 390
only the 390 and k code came with dual exhaust. c or a code single exhaust.

ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts