Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of a documented GT. On the forum there is this constant question is it a true GT or not. There have been so many that you wonder about people.

Well, I apologize. I have been seeing this little GT coupe and the other day I saw the owner out in the yard and stopped to talk. He is the original owner, having purchased the 66 in Nov. 65. He said everything is original. Now the problem. If it is a factory GT, why was the left fog light have no hole for the wire? (It was fed through the left headlight extention ,then follow the headlight harness through the left fender panel into the engine compartment.)
The right fog light had a hole for the wire.(drilled with no grommet.)No ralley pack. Disk brakes, exhaust, fenders as they should be for GT.

Now the thing I dont buy is, that a dealer would go to all the work to convert a standard A code coupe with dual exhaust to a GT. That is just too much work.

Another interesting thing is behind the left fog light, written on the radiator support was GT in large with letters.

On my GT, (third owner) I have talked to the original owner and the car is as he bought it, but on the ralley pack it is missing the wire shield that runs under the pack. What gives? I think that on the assembly line the workers made do with what was avalible. That is if you dont have a radiator support for GT fog lights, what the heck you can always drill a standard support.I think that is why it had GT a the radiator panel andstill the worker didnt take the time to drill on that side. By the way my car has punched holes for the fog lights, but the fog light switch is round.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Do you have the nuances of identifying a factory GT committed to print?? If so, I think a FAQ on the subject would be a great asset for VMF'ers...

I'd be happy to create the web pages and host the information on my web site if you don't that ability. GT's are an area I know little about...always willing to learn! *G*

Let me know.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My first 3 mustangs were all GT's. The 1st was documented by the owner's manual (bought from Va Mustang- 65 conv w/ 8K Rally Pac), the 2nd was a 66 coupe that was obvious, and the 3rd was a 65 K-GT conv that was restored by a reputable shop (It pulled a trophy at a Grand National and they even checked the build date, as I had an AM-FM in it). I have a friend in NC that had over 800 mustangs in his junk yard and we were always looking at the different aspects. There were 2 factory GT's with your problem- 1 hole punched and not the other side. Both were not punched on the pass side. I even cut out the rear frame rail spacers for the dual exhaust from one of these cars. Rally Pacs were still an option, not part of most packages, but a lot of dealers added them. On a 65, one thing that IOS hard to fake, is the wiring. If you turn on the fog lights, the instrument and taillights come on. All 66's had this, but only 65 GT's.

G

·
0 Posts
I was at a car show a few years ago in So.Calif and saw a one off car[like the T code GT]
it was a 66 convert,289-2V,C-4 trans ,p/s,p/drum brakes,and factory air.your thinking so what!
it was in the parking lot at the show and i saw the owner looking for something in the trunk,so i stoped to ask about the car,he said he was the orig owner and no it wasent for sale[bummer]i asked to look under the hood and he said fine,go ahead,when i opened the hood it was all stock incl smog pump and all other stuff
car had about [40K orig miles].this what i found: vin # had a K for the engine code,vib damper was a 271 hp type[thick] .this car was not a restord car by any means ,just a nice driver,i asked him if the car ever had engine work before and he said just maint stuff,he was kinda in a hurry so i dident hear it run[i was thinking solid lifters]im of the opinon now that ford did what ever it had to to send out a car from the factory,i keep an open mind on everything!
note: door tag showed the K in the vin also![so i kinda ruled out crash victom]this car was very orig!
Dave

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a true GT fastback that is missing one fog light wire hole. The fog light cable was run just as you discribed. I have seen at least thre other gt's that were missing one hole for the fog light feed wire. I consider the two main starting points for verifying a true GT to be the rear frame rails and the two formed plates that were factory welded in the floorpans for re-enforcement of the floors for the dual exhaust hangers for the mufflers.
jazzbo

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've seen a number of early GTs that do not conform to the "standard" published everywhere. Depending on plant, shift, build date and the phase of the moon, some had 1 lamp wiring hole and some had 2. Some had a D-shaped lamp switch and some had a round one. Some had punched holes and some had drilled holes.

I can understand why this might be critical information for the concours show folks (since there are very narrowly-defined qualifications), but I think the whole debate is a "tempest in a teacup' for most of us with drivers. Fact is that one of our resident MCA judges (who will remain nameless *G*) admits that his fastback was a converted GT - although it has never been challenged at a show and consistently brings home the gold.

Since my car is not a show car, and many of its parts are non-original anyway, I could care less about its pedigree. It was sold to me as a factory GT, and had all the requisite parts and pieces (although the lamp switch hole was round) but I will never know for sure. At best, it is a mongrel now because it has been through so many repairs and modifications.

G

·
0 Posts
During the popular vote car show last Sunday at the SAAC 27 meet, I saw the same fog light wiring (one hole only on the passenger side of the radiator support) on a 65 GT Fastback K-code. This is a beautiful black/red, well-documented factory GT that has been owned by the same person for 35 years. He lives in the L.A. area and shows the car regularly - I've seen it at the Knotts Fab Ford show several times. I didn't get his name before he left the show, but he did say that he participates here on the Forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts