Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all, I’m new here.
I’ve been working on a 67 mustang for the past 2 years. As of now I’m about to weld in the trunk brace so I can tie everything else in the rear together. Could anyone get me some measurements? I’ve included a picture of where I’d like the start of the measurements to be but i don’t know where I should measure it too...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Welcome!

When you say trunk brace, do you mean transition pan (that's what your arrow points to)? If so, are you concerned your current pan is in the wrong spot?

If you're referring to the part the taillight panel welds to, I'd use your fuel tank to get a proper fit.

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang fastback
132 Posts
Like inovermyhead stated, use your fuel tank to help with alignment. I would also install the rest of your trunk pans and screw everything together with self tapping screws before you weld anything. That way you know everything will go back together and if something is off it is easy to readjust things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi y’all, I’m new here.
I’ve been working on a 67 mustang for the past 2 years. As of now I’m about to weld in the trunk brace so I can tie everything else in the rear together. Could anyone get me some measurements? I’ve included a picture of where I’d like the start of the measurements to be but i don’t know where I should measure it too... View attachment 798270
Like inovermyhead stated, use your fuel tank to help with alignment. I would also install the rest of your trunk pans and screw everything together with self tapping screws before you weld anything. That way you know everything will go back together and if something is off it is easy to readjust things.
Oh I’m completely aware of using my gas tank to ensure a proper fitment, I’ve already done so and mocked up everything including my trunk pans, twilight panel, and quarter panel... and it all fits like a glove. The issue lies with where the brace meets the taillight panel. I would just like a measurement of the end of the brace to wherever a good spot would be to measure it from, I’d like to know how far it should stick out .

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang fastback
132 Posts
Having the fuel tank installed would locate that panel in the proper place front to back. I would then think you could clamp the taillight panel to the brace (where they get spot welded together) and it will end up where it needs to be. Maybe I'm not understanding though. I would give you a measurement on my car but it's a couple miles away currently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea all I need is a measurement. I know for a fact that where the frame meets the brace on the driver side sticks out further than it does on the passenger side by about 1/4”. However the gas tank does still fit and aligns with the holes...with some encouragement that is. But when I put the taillight panel in for fitment it’s a lot tighter of a fit between the quarter panel than the passenger side and so that’s why I’d like a measurement so that I can get factory specs...I could make it work either way as I am definitely not new to the world of fabrication can car restoration, but I would feel a lot better if I just knew the factory measurement of the trunk brace. This is why you don’t loose your book of measurements you took before cutting stuff out kids... the picture that I included is just for reference of where I need the measurement. The horizontal line is where I’d like the start of the measurements to be, and the perpendicular line with the arrow just represents the general area of where the measurement would end. If I could get that measurement from anyone I would be most grateful, thank you!

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's not very clear what measurement you're wanting since the arrow is to an slanted surface. Due to that, a measurement there is not going to not be very helpful. Measurements should be to defined features. I've replaced the same taillight panel brace and you pretty much just need to install all the parts first and make sure all the gaps to the decklid are right on, and that everything is level. I suggest using sheet metal screws or clecos to dry assemble everything in the rear of your car, then we'd the brace in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi y’all, I’m new here.
I’ve been working on a 67 mustang for the past 2 years. As of now I’m about to weld in the trunk brace so I can tie everything else in the rear together. Could anyone get me some measurements? I’ve included a picture of where I’d like the start of the measurements to be but i don’t know where I should measure it too... View attachment 798270
It's not very clear what measurement you're wanting since the arrow is to an slanted surface. Due to that, a measurement there is not going to not be very helpful. Measurements should be to defined features. I've replaced the same taillight panel brace and you pretty much just need to install all the parts first and make sure all the gaps to the decklid are right on, and that everything is level. I suggest using sheet metal screws or clecos to dry assemble everything in the rear of your car, then we'd the brace in.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️Please read my response above… I have already stated the arrow is only referencing the direction in which I need the measurement started from. It’s quite hard to put into words so it’s my fault I’m not quite getting what I’m trying to ask for out there. I would much appreciate if I just got the answear to the only question I asked rather than solutions to everything but what I’ve asked, it’s quite frustrating. If you don’t understand what I’m asking, please don’t respond. I have already done all of what you’re all telling me to do, those are the first things I did. It’s already all been mocked together and that’s how I know that it is off.

·
Banned
462 Posts
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️Please read my response above… I have already stated the arrow is only referencing the direction in which I need the measurement started from. It’s quite hard to put into words so it’s my fault I’m not quite getting what I’m trying to ask for out there. I would much appreciate if I just got the answear to the only question I asked rather than solutions to everything but what I’ve asked, it’s quite frustrating. If you don’t understand what I’m asking, please don’t respond. I have already done all of what you’re all telling me to do, those are the first things I did. It’s already all been mocked together and that’s how I know that it is off.
I have an untouched car as far as sheet metal. It's completed. I will be glad to give you measurements from any FIXED point. However, I think what he was asking is is what fixed point to pull the measurement. The arrow is far too vague.
I could measure from the hole for the wiring for the sending unit or any fixed point that is in the trunk.
I can give you multiple locations if needed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Please read my response above… I have already stated the arrow is only referencing the direction in which I need the measurement started from. It’s quite hard to put into words so it’s my fault I’m not quite getting what I’m trying to ask for out there. I would much appreciate if I just got the answear to the only question I asked rather than solutions to everything but what I’ve asked, it’s quite frustrating. If you don’t understand what I’m asking, please don’t respond. I have already done all of what you’re all telling me to do, those are the first things I did. It’s already all been mocked together and that’s how I know that it is off.
If it's hard to put into words, it's probably even harder to get an accurate measurement. I can't think of a single good datum / reference to measure to. Everything forward of there, and above the frame rails, that you can reach with a tape measure has low tolerance, e.g. large variance.

My original advice still stands. Assemble everything, including the decklid and quarter extensions. When the gaps to the decklid are good, weld it in.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Please read my response above… I have already stated the arrow is only referencing the direction in which I need the measurement started from. It’s quite hard to put into words so it’s my fault I’m not quite getting what I’m trying to ask for out there. I would much appreciate if I just got the answear to the only question I asked rather than solutions to everything but what I’ve asked, it’s quite frustrating. If you don’t understand what I’m asking, please don’t respond. I have already done all of what you’re all telling me to do, those are the first things I did. It’s already all been mocked together and that’s how I know that it is off.
If it helps, here are some detailed views of when I replaced the brace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts