Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wondering what is the best way to go about putting a trunk divider in. we were concerned about the safety of the trunk, so we had a gas tank cover and a rear seat divider made from scratch by a friend. i didnt know if this was the best thing to do or should we purchase the same things specifically made for the mustang. just wanted to hear you guys input on what i should do to get the best protection. any input would be great. thanks

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I have one for the '67 and it just goes in with sheetmetal screws. I put a little non-hardening body sealer around the edges to keep the rattles down. I've heard of people welding them in but I didn't want it that permanant.

I didn't really get it for the fire protection value. Mostly thought it would be great for keeping trunk noise out of the cabin and would be a great place to mount an amp or something. I'm also going to put in some u-bolts to act like the child seat tethers (LATCH system) in new cars.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
I found a guy at a swap meet that had a stack of them for $30 each. I bought one, umm, because it was there. It fit quite nicely. My method of install was the same as Fastlane's and for much the same reasons. I didn't look to "seal" the trunk, just increase the division. A nice layer of Dynamat between it and the backseat and I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Same here. I used an old cardboard divider for a template and built mine from heavy gauge sheet metal. Used a semi-hardening sealant and self tapping sheet metal screws to fasten it in place. Had it painted the same color as the car after prepping the surfaces. You can't tell it isn't factory. I'll eventually get around to building the tank armor too...at a later date.

From a safety standpoint, IMO, these items help, but are no guarantee of safety or survival in a fiery rearender, but your chances are better I'm sure. Keep in mind if there was a tank rupture from an accident, the divider and tank armor would help slow down the "splash" and geyser effect from a major rupture. Gas would eventually leak anywhere it could, but I feel the initial surge would be slowed down and contained somewhat with the installation of these mods.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
I made my own for my 66 GT. 'cause the NHRA wanted it there because I put my battery in the trunk. I used pop rivets and sealed it with caulk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts