Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing the bottom rear trunk drop-off in our old family car 1965 Rangoon Red 2V coupe. The top piece is solid but the inside(holds up the gas tank) drop is rusty and the outside piece(toward quarter) is shot.

I have the whole floor piece as well as the outer piece. The outer piece overlaps the top of the panel by an inch. Do I just plug weld that on top of the existing piece or tack it down and cut and butt weld it?

I know I should replace the whole floor but the whole repro piece is much flimsier that the drop-off section. I bought them both at restoremustangs.com so it goes to show you how quality varies. I figure I can section in the rusty pieces and keep as much original metal as I can.

Don

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
How are the quarters? Replacing the drop offs is pretty easy, but it's usually done in conjunction with quarters or at least quarter patches.

If you're keeping the quarters, you'll have to drill out the welds on the lower lip of the quarter and on the sides of the drop off. Cut the original drop off 1 inch below the top, drill it for plug welds, and tuck the new one in behind it. Plug weld all the old holes with the new dropoff in place. Trim the bottom of the dropoff even with the quarter lip.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/doorsonright.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm doing the bottom of the quarters as well so I've cut that off. I'm going to patch in leaving the wheel well lip intact(it's not rusty). I figure it would be hard to match that curve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts