Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I'm thinking about installing the SC cable remote for the trunk of my 67 Mustang.
The latch needed for this, is absolutely rare...especially here in Germany. Sometimes this item can be found at ebay, but reckoning shipping and customs for the item, it really gets expensive.
Has somebody ever tried to fix this by conversion of a standard latch? Is it possible to alter the standard one into a remote latch?
Tried the search before, but I only found posts to the electrical version...
Greetings
Tom

·
Registered
35,394 Posts
Depends on how much work you want to do....

You could a) disassemble the latch and try to fabricate a release lever for it or, b) search around salvage yards for vehicles with remote latches that could possibly be "retrofitted".

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Yeah, that eBay listing is CHEAP, ($50), particularly for NOS.

OP wants mechanical (cable) release. Otherwise, like was said, there are "tons" of those electric
ones available at the junkyard level, even now in 2016. The one on my '68 came from a Lincoln
I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one on ebay I found already. But as I said before, it's a long bill 'til I hold the item here in hands....
Thats the reason, why I thought about buildin' somehow a release-nozzle to a standard latch. Maybe someone did this job before and has some kind of "2do"-tip for me...?
I dont want a electrical one....and junkyrds like you guys know from America, we dont have here in Europe, specially Germany.

Tom

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well, you can buy the Ebay one and exercise patience, or tear into the one you have and see what you can come up with. If you end up destroying yours, you can always use this until the Ebay one arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
That eBay one sure looks rough to be NOS. However if it works $50 was a decent price.

The latches were used in 67- 70 on the Fairlane, Falcon, Torino, Comet, Galaxy & Mustang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts