Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly putting the molding/trim back on my '68 Coupe. The trim piece that runs across the back of the trunk was in good shape when I took it off so I had it cleaned and polished (2 years ago). Now getting ready to put it back on I realize that I have no fasteners and dont remember what they look like. The trunk lid is new, replacing the old one that had rust issues, so the holes for the trim piece will need to be drilled - don't have a shot of where they were on the old lid either.

Anyone know what the fasteners look like, how many needed, where can I get some?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
They’re little white clips that bolt on. Any Mustang supplier will carry them and the number required comes in the kit. I don’t remember how many I needed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Attached is an illustration showing the Exterior Moldings on a 68 Coupe. I have boxed in Red the fasteners that were used.There were 9 (Type C's) used across the trunk lid for that molding, 3 (Type E's) for each Rear Quarter Extension Molding, and 1 (Type F) screw at the bottom of each Rear Quarter Extension. I do not know of anyone that reproduces the studs for either the Trunk Molding or the Rear Quarter Extension Moldings. However, NPD does sell sets for each will will work, but don't look anything like the originals ; but since they are not visible, that really shouldn't bee a problem. As far as the fasteners that go onto the studs, it depends on how original you want to be. All of the studs are 8-32 thread if you just want something that will work. If you want originals (picture attached), again, I don't know of anyone who reproduces these with the correct finishes. The stamped crown (acorn) nuts (377522-S100 were zinc dichromate, and the hex pal nuts (45203-S36) were zinc chromate. The screws (55972-SX) were wax coated (much like the screws for the Wheel Lip Moldings), and were #8 x 3/8", and while not specified, based on observations, were either zinc or chrome plated.
I do have a small amount of NOS stamped crown nuts and the hex pal nuts if you can't find them.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Ext Mldngs - Copy.jpg
Scan_0005 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob. The books I have didn't show the detail, so this is perfect.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts