Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm sure many of you can relate, but being on lock-down is allowing me some time to turn wrenches in the garage. For those of you who are sick of the trunk torsion rods, especially those with a convertible, this post might spark some ideas for you.

I spent about $40 on 20" gas shocks and adapters to convert my trunk lift system. You can use self tapping metal screws to attach brackets to lid if you want, but I opted to do threaded rivets (see image). The ball studs just happened to be 5/16-18 threads, which is exactly what the threads are for the hinge (pure luck). I tried 40lb shocks first (from 94-04 Mustang), but they were not quite strong enough after installing my TMI trunk kit. 60lb shocks were perfect. Be carefull drilling or make sure your self tapping screws are not too long and hit your trunk!

Let me know what you think and stay safe!

Marty

Shocks

Brackets and studs

Rivet tool

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Nice! What is the collapsed length of the 20" struts you used? My fastback trunk lid is somewhat shorter than the coupe/vert trunk lid.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi everyone,

For those of you who are sick of the trunk torsion rods, especially those with a convertible, this post might spark some ideas for you.

Let me know what you think and stay safe!

Marty
Do the torsion rods go bad? Or are they just a PITA to re-install? As far as I know, mine are original to the car and work fine 50+ years on.

I've replaced several pairs of the gas shocks that were 10-15 years old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would imagine over time they can go bad. I made my own tool from a 90 bracket from Lowes, and I don't think they are a PITA once you know how to install the rods. The original rods would not hold up my new Dynacorn trunk. I ordered replacements from CJs and they were thicker than original, but still wouldn't hold trunk open. That's why I switched to the gas shocks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right on! when I minitubbed my dodge I deleted the torsion system and have always thought this was the solution but never tried it. Ordering the parts now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts