Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Last year I installed a new trunk seal and I kept getting fumes in the cabin and specially in the trunk that makes my seats and accessories smell like gas, well I just noticed that I have a big gap in the trunk where the lower seal(taillight) all the way across and I re-adjusted the trunk with no success I think my only option is to install a seal on the trunk itself(I know its not stock) where can I find a seal that I can use.

Thank you for reading and helping out.

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
OK, first find out why the trunk seal isn't sealing. Is the gasket crap? Installed wrong? Sheetmetal distorted?

Did you do the dollar test? My Grandad taught me that one. Close the trunk lid on a $1 bill. Pull the bill out. Was there resistance or not? Move it a few inches, and do it again. You can pinpoint problem areas that way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just went through this on mine. The opening around the lid had been pushed down over years of use. It’s amazing what a little tugging will do. Don’t over pull just enough to make a good seal. I used a large flashlight in the trunk to find my low spots.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seal is installed correctly (according to the internet) and by research and clearly the rear end seal is way off as much as .750". I will try to get some pictures up by the weekend.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Mine was at least that far off. I had to weld 3 layers of flat stock to the complete section above the taillights and then shape into the side rail sections. I’m guessing this is due to the poor installation of the panels when the repair shop assembled new tail, quarter and floor panels. It actually turned out really good, unless you “know” the rail is too high you can’t see anything that looks out of place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts