Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about using an 289 cam thrust plate on a 302 block but did not get a response, so I'm reposting the question.
In rebuilding my '65 289 I had to replace the block with a '69 302 block. On the 289 the oil passage from the distributor went only to the camshaft bearing. The 302 block has the oil passage drilled through from the front of the block. My 289 camshaft thrust plate does not cover this oil passage. Is this a problem? Do I have to replace the retention (thrust) plate with the different style one that has the extension to cover the oil passage (i.e. is the oil passage just a drain) ?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info it may come in handy, but what I really need to know is do I have to replace the thrust plate? Or can I just use my old one & leave the oil passage open?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The newer style thrust plate requires a different cam sprocket (one with groves in the hub area) for it to function properly. You should be able to pick up both of the parts at most wrecking yards.

If you decide not to make the change, just cap off the hole like it was in the earlier blocks. Actually, most performance machine shops now thread the oil holes and use a screw-in plug.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts