Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install air conditioning in a 66 coupe with a 289 and a full length center console.
What are the pros and cons to each of the systems named in the title?

The two systems seem comparable so how do I decide?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Last year I installed a Custom Auto Air ELITE evaporator into a 65 Fastback which has a full length console. I am in the process of installing a Vintage Air SureFit Evaporator into a 66. I customized both kits a little, but both are very good. If you plan on keeping the OEM full length console, it will fit, but a significant amount of trimming is required. Both Evaporators are significantly larger than the OEM under dash heater box.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Experience with both systems in one brain. Awesome!
Was there a difference in how much had to be removed from the console?
Do you have a preference on the air outlets? Design/shape? Quality feel? or cheap and plasticky?

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,196 Posts
Have you looked at cold air products? Www.coldairproducts.com .. They have model specific kitsch. I'm doing one now in my fastback.. no console.. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I went with classic auto air as they always answer their phones when I call and have great support. I have yet to hear back from vintage air on questions I had about their systems. 2 months and still waiting...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I called up CAA, Vintage Air, and Old Air and went with CAA because I got the best feeling from them on the phone and their website had the most comprehensive information.

I'm perfectly satisfied. About the only minor complaint I have is that the center vents do not adjust up and down, just side to side. Not sure if they are the same vents you would be getting but they do look similar to image98's picture. Not sure about the adjustment of the center vents with the other 2 companies. I suppose I could replace them with OEM vents sometime down the road.

I had to add a throttle solenoid to keep my engine from wanting to die when the compressor came on at idle. Guy I talked to at CAA said that's not normally needed but was very friendly and helpful.

From all the research I did, it seems you really can't go wrong with any of the 3.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I’m putting in Classic Auto Air under dash (daily driver version) because I wanted to keep my glove box. My after market stereo is in there. Should be done in the next month. I don’t have a center console.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts