Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, To clarify...this is why I am asking:

This is the car with the engine and trans in place...fenders and other body pieces on the front clip are not yet on...but I don't think all that is going to change things by more than about 50lbs. Now obviously the car is far from the point of being able to drive it and get the suspension settled, but even so, judging by the angle of the LCAs this drivetrain isn's even fully compressing the springs that are on there(OEM I6 springs). So where do I go about finding what spring rate I need for an engine that weighs in at 270lbs total? Call it 320lbs by the time I add in all the extra steel I added for chassis stiffening up front.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
^ Not a bad idea. You may end up with a stock V-8 spring in the end though....
Don't fool yourself about the weight of a hood, fenders, etc. Unless it's carbon fiber you're talking about,
those have significant weight. The stock '65 hood is 45# alone. Fenders are at least 20# each. Adds up fast.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If that engine is actually 270 lbs total like you claim, it is significantly lighter than the I6 engine it is replacing (about 100 lbs). I would not touch the springs until you are at a point where you can pre-assemble the entire front end. I can't imagine that you would ever need anything more than the lightest V8 spring

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Start with what you have. Get car assembled. If car sits too high, cut coil to achieve desired ride height. Drive car under your desired use conditions. You will then know if you need a heavier or lighter spring. (long winded version of what Huskinhano said. :) )

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Not a bad idea. You may end up with a stock V-8 spring in the end though....
Don't fool yourself about the weight of a hood, fenders, etc. Unless it's carbon fiber you're talking about,
those have significant weight. The stock '65 hood is 45# alone. Fenders are at least 20# each. Adds up fast.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
True...I don't even have a hood yet...but putting the fenders on makes no visible difference. 270lbs is pretty unbelievable for a DOHC v6...but everything I can find says that it is accurate from interviews with Ford engineers to people actually putting the thing on a fish scale. It doesn't tell the full story of course because they never mention whether they have accesories or starter installed...and then there are unkown variables like how much heavier the headers are than the stock manifolds, etc, but all I am running is an alternator for accesories. I was just shocked that so far it wont even compress an I6 spring. I guess though its not really saying anything until the thing is actually driving and the suspension can settle to real world conditions.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
True...I don't even have a hood yet...but putting the fenders on makes no visible difference. 270lbs is pretty unbelievable for a DOHC v6...but everything I can find says that it is accurate from interviews with Ford engineers to people actually putting the thing on a fish scale. It doesn't tell the full story of course because they never mention whether they have accesories or starter installed...and then there are unkown variables like how much heavier the headers are than the stock manifolds, etc, but all I am running is an alternator for accesories. I was just shocked that so far it wont even compress an I6 spring. I guess though its not really saying anything until the thing is actually driving and the suspension can settle to real world conditions.
Until your car is completely assembled and been driven you won't know where it will settle, so just leave it as is for now. You can deal with springs and rates and all that later.

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
Until your car is completely assembled and been driven you won't know where it will settle, so just leave it as is for now. You can deal with springs and rates and all that later.
Absolutely. You will be amazed how much the front end will settle once you drive it. If you start cutting springs now you will be disappointed when your front bumper is dragging the ground once you drive it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Are your building a max stripped out racecar with polycarbonate windows? Otherwise you are going to ad a lot of weight, before it's a complete and drivable car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts