Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a good "drop in - bolt up" rearend for my 66. I know that it is possible to do the Explorer 8.8 swap, but I have heard that you have to have the rear cut in order to make it fit a 66 and to get the pumpkin centered. So here are my questions:

What year after 1994 did rear disks become standard on the Mustang GT 8.8 rearend?

How wide are the mustang 8.8 rearends?

How much wider it the rear on a 67-68 than the 65-66? I've heard that the 8.8 swap into a 67 is almost a straight bolt up.

TIA,

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
What year after 1994 did rear disks become standard on the Mustang GT 8.8 rearend?
Starting in 1994, the GT's all got rear disc standard.

How wide are the mustang 8.8 rearends?
I'll get back to you on this one...

How much wider it the rear on a 67-68 than the 65-66? I've heard that the 8.8 swap into a 67 is almost a straight bolt up.
The 67/68 rear is 2" wider than the 65/66.

Why not just add discs to an 8 inch???

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just add discs to an 8 inch???
I'm looking for a posi. It's much easier and cheaper to get an 8.8 posi.
I went the 8" posi route in one of my cars and although I love it, ::my wallet still hurts. :(

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
86-93 Mustang 59.00 inches
94-98 Mustang 60.50 inches
I found various figures for the Explorer rear, but most were around 60" - only problem is that they are offset to one side...

Also, be aware that the Mustang 8.8 has a large cast center section which includes cast-in mounting provisions for the 4 link. This has to be cut away for clearance. Spring perches need welded. And then, you've still got C-clipped axles...

I'd look at one of the Powertrax setups and keep the 8"...

·
Registered
21,130 Posts
IMO, just stick with a 8" axle. They're pleniful, cheap and strong enough.

Unless you're drag racing with a stick shift and slicks with about 400 hp, the 8" will do nicely IMO.

Most of the guys who road race say you really don't need rear discs. on the street.

I'm keeping my 8' and drums! The 8" is about 75 pounds lighter then a 9" axle. Both 8" & 9" axles are the same! Both are 28 spline except the high performance engine packages such as the Bosses, ect.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The local 1/8th mile track outlawed the 9" Ford rear unless the car came from the factory with one. A partial owner of the track owns a '65 fastback with a 351C and a blower coming out the hood (I'm not sure of the power but its fast) running into an 8" rear end.
-Brian

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I installed a Powertrax unit for a pal, he was very pleased after I told him the noise was normal...

Prolly not for the cupholder/anti-low gear/anti-Flowmaster group.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The local 1/8th mile track outlawed the 9" Ford rear unless the car came from the factory with one.

I can't understand why??? 9" Ford is a favorite for drag racers of all makes...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm corn-fused
Why would they outlaw a 9". I would think you could special order one on almost any ford - Heck my boyfriend put one in his 496 Camaro because they are so strong and plentiful.

What was the reasoning behind the decision.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Maybe because enterprising racers could have an unfair advantage over gm types and change gear ratios like theyre changing clothes.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Same reason why cleveland's got outlawed.
Chevy boys cry the loudest when they lose ;)

All though it is funny when you think about it, the 8 inch although not as strong as a 9 inch is lighter and has less parasidic loss ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts