Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Midlife is back, I can do some stuff that I've not been able to do. Back in Dec. 2004, I refurbished all of my steering linkages and painted them, but they immediately began to rust. Yup, I thought that rattle can paint would be sufficient. So, I took everything off, sandblasted it, and will epoxy prime and repaint tomorrow when the wind dies down. My steering box was missing the lower seal, and leaking a drip drop drip, so I installed that in about 2 minutes. I also test fitted a number of interior rear panels for fit; one of the lower corner ones simply won't fit well and align with all the holes, so I may have a problem later on. The painter adjusted my passenger door by fitting two thick washers between the hinge and the pillar post, so it sits very ****-eyed. Since the door isn't on, I don't know what's going on. The pillar is not out of whack, but the painter did say he had a bitch aligning the door. I don't like the washer situation, but will probably leave that for the next bodyman.

Anyway, I found one dust seal on a tie rod was ripped, so I ordered a couple more. I should be able to re-install the entire front suspension next weekend, after the paint has cured a bit.

Oh, both of my disk rotors are terribly rusted. Since Midlife sat in a garage exposed to humidity, I'm not surprised, but gawd, does it look awful.

At any rate, it is wonderful to wrench a bit again on the car. It's been 8 months, and waaay too long.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Glag to hear that there's a semi-happy outcome to the whole ordeal. I have always found working on my basketcase to be very therapeutic.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I could'nt deal with my therapy being taken out of my basement for 8 months. I know I won't have a concours car but that's o.k. I don't want one. I enjoy doing everything myself, even when I screw it up, I just do it again and have twice the fun.

I am hoping for a "People's Choice" car though!

Good luck on the new body man. Whoever he may be.
Enjoy it while it's back home.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Since Midlife sat in a garage exposed to humidity
:horror: :horror: :horror:
Didn't he KNOW he had the famous Midlife??? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
ahhh to work on the car....feels great doesn't it? almost as good as.............chocolate ;)
Ya know, getting Midlife back may look like a bad situation.....but it could turn out much better than you could ever hope for....slow and steady my friend :)
Shall I send you a box of snow?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
There is something to be said about getting your 'mustang fix'! Not everyone understands, but we do!! Better than being addicted to drugs and wild women!! :winkgrin:

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shall I send you a box of snow?
Please do; I've forgotten the recipe, as had everyone around here. All I seem to remember is that one first has to wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, and a coat for it to work. ::

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Eight MONTHS???? :horror: I start having withdrawls after 8 hours!! :lol:

Randy, I'll bet that washer thickness could be taken up by loosening the bolts on the door! Did your body guy not attempt that? :sniping:

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes he did loosen up bolts on the door, but it couldn't come out far enough. I think I'm gonna wallow out the hinge holes a bit (about 1/8" is needed). The other possibility is to take out the backing plate behind the pillar and whack the pillar out a bit. In the mean time, I'm going to check the door plate movement against a couple of other doors I have to see if it isn't hung up on something.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have you found a new body-paint man? I have family that are in biz in the Panama City area. Have asked both if they know of anyone reputable they would suggest. On the long chance I hear something positive will pass it along. Could you go as far afield as Ft Walton Beach?
Pete :)

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't started looking yet, but will do so in a week or two. I'm taking any recommendations anyone comes up with. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
are you kidding?!! that is just the first layer for up here ;)
How ya doing this week?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts