Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning out some upgrades on my car. A little back ground, it's a 70 351C w/auto, PB, PS car. I've put 03/04 Cobra discs on all 4 corners. Even with running a vacuum canister I'm not pleased with the brakes. I'm going to install a hydraboost setup. Not interested in manual brakes and it's my understanding that the cam has too low of a vacuum to efficiently run PB. This is where the voices in my head give me too many ideas. I'm planning on going with the CVF racing serpentine setup, I'm also planning on adding AC using a Vintage Air kit.
Should I:. A) pay the extra for the power steering pump that will run both the power steering and Hydraboost. (Power steering leaks and will need to be rebuilt.) Or B) Convert to manual steering and add EPAS to it? (This probably would be one of the Saturn or Toyota conversions.)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The Ford PS pump is not very well suited to use as a hydroboost pump and you would be much better off using a GM type II unit, such as a KRC or a Lee Power Steering pump. KRC may have brackets available to fit a 351C. And yes, a single PS pump will run both the hydroboost and the power steering. Or you could source a late model Dodge electric over hydro pump. An electric motor drives a hydraulic pump for steering and brakes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts