Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am currently debating on the best to remove tint glue from the side windows on my 1970 Mustang. I have read on past forums, but want to confirm that these methods would still work from the 18-year-old threads. A little backstory, a friend peeled off the tint earlier this year and I have been stalling on removing the glue. I don't know the best and least risky way to remove it from my windows. I have kept the windows down anyways for this summer since I drive with them down. I've heard acetone and a rag works well for this application, but does anyone else have other ideas or know if this still works?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
It really depends on the type of adhesive used.... some acetone will work well for others, no, it just turns into gum! When I was removing the ClearBra from my truck, steam helped a lot! I tried 3M adhesive remover, mineral spirits, etc., acetone was the only thing that even slightly dissolved it but was not really effective.... ultimately I used a product called "Rapid Remover" which is used in the vinyl wrap sign industry.... but following the directions didn't work....I applied it to a sponge, allowing it to soak directly on the residue for about 3-5 minutes.... then it came off clean..... and i did use steam to soften it up after applying the product.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Heat, like a heat gun. Acetone is messy. If you can remove the window, put it in your bathtub with hot hot water. Let it soak for 5-10 min, it'll peel right off.

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plastic razor scrapers work surprisingly well, to.
I've considered this along with a heat gun. I just need something that's effective and won't take a day. I'll also pick up some tint remover on the weekend and try both methods.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I always use a fabric steamer to get the old purple tint off. It works well and leaves less adhesive behind. Then I use acetone and often isopropyl alcohol for the final clean since it doesn't evaporate as quickly. I also usually use the blue shop type paper towels.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I did some research on this before, but I'm not an expert. I had both a failed and a successful attempt to remove aftermarket tint from the rear window of my car manufactured in the late '90s.

Many (most? all?) tints use water-soluble glue, and windex (water + ammonia + soaps) will disolve it if you give it long enough. Heat helps - so you can use steam, or you can soak the window and put a black plastic bag against it and let the sun heat it up and hold the moisture in.

I tried denatured alcohol - big mistake. I'm lucky I didn't get sick or go blind, and it didn't even do anything to help take the tint off! On the other hand, windex worked like a champ.

Also - most car window cleaners are designed to NOT harm tint, so don't use those. Good ol' blue windex should work.

Reactions: MustangGrande302

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have had good luck with the professional strength Goof Off in removing the adhesive used on the weather stripping. Acetone did not do much, but the Professional strength Goof Off worked.
WD40 worked good to remove the clear spray on bra I had on my Cobra. It allowed me to remove the bra material where it was not strayed on thickly enough to pull off. The best thing about the WD40 was that it did not attack the paint on the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I removed old tint today:

BLUF: Ammonia dissolved the glue. Lift the edges , spray ammonia under the lifted edge, move up a little more edge repeat. Once I was able to get the top edge loose gravity was my friend with the ammonia .

Today I removed 20 ish year old tint from a rear window. (Its a 2002 impala we've owned since new and it was tinted either in 02 or 03).
Total time was more than a hour however, about half of that time was spent nursing a bit Lavagulin 16) . I used a spray bottle filled with Ammonia. Its a cloudy rainy day so I didn't wet paper or cover with plastic etc et al. I just sprayed the rear window until it was sopping wet. I closed the car up and went back into the house.

I spent about half an hour enjoying a little dram of peaty Scottish spring water and then I went back to the car. I sprayed the rear window with the ammonia again.

I used a scraper that had a plastic single edge razor installed to work the edges trying to lift and pull an edge. while I was using the scraper I'd spray ammonia on the rest of the window to keep everything moist. The side I started on came off in smaller pieces than the other side which came off mostly intact. The difference was improvement in my technique.

Once a little edge of the tint was loose , I'd lift it a bit and spray ammonia under it and move up just a bit and repeat the lift spray underneath and move on. Once I ran out of unlifted,areas I started to slowly pulled while ensuring a good amount of ammonia was on the surface of the tint where it met the glass.

To remove the glue in the area that had glue and little islands/shards/pieces of tint I used ammonia and a scotch bright pad then I wiped it with a cloth it came out much better and was quicker than I expected.

Lesson learned:
Try to lift the edges and get the ammonia under said edges. after I learned the technique the remainder of the rear window tint came out in one piece. (about 3/4" of the tint remained in a single sheet. I'm certain that with my final technique I could have removed the entire sheet of tint in one piece.) The first quarter of the window where I forced the tint off in little sections had many sections of adhesive/little islands of tint to remove and was a bit more tedious to clean than the section where I let the ammonia do most of the work.

The only downside is the smell of ammonia and the upside is it is quick .

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Ammonia

1 - 18 of 18 Posts