Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine runs a scrap yard here in town and sent me a photo this morning that made me almost break down and shed a tear. This was brought in yesterday and sold for scrap.

I asked him to not scrap it and see if he could get the title. He said he might actually be able to get the title for it. I'm hoping one way or another it can be saved. If nothing else, my plan is to find someone that wants to restore/restomod one and just let them pay the minimum scrap/towing fee. It's going to cost a lot more than it's worth, I know. But that's why the
"at cost" pricing. I've yet to look at it in person. Far as I know, it might be rotted out. But then again, everything is made for it, I have a mig welder and a 15 yo boy that wants his first car. I just hate to see one go to the crusher....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Looks in better shape than my last project......:)
Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you cant find a home for it I would gladly take her off your hands. Been looking for one for my wife. Let me know what you find out. Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks in better shape than my last project......:)
Tom
No kidding. My old lady always used to roll her eyes when I'd bring one home as they "looked" so bad. I guess its an acquired skill to see beyond multiple colors, etc. I would take that in a heart beat for a mere towing fee. As mentioned, they make everything for it and at a minimum it could be made into a nice gutted race car or something like that. Price is right anyhow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just noticed the windows? Is that condensation or was this in a fire?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just noticed the windows? Is that condensation or was this in a fire?
Don't know yet. But the good thing is the friend is a Mustang guy too. He has a '73 Mach 1 I've done some work on for him.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A friend of mine runs a scrap yard here in town and sent me a photo this morning that made me almost break down and shed a tear. This was brought in yesterday and sold for scrap.

I asked him to not scrap it and see if he could get the title. He said he might actually be able to get the title for it. I'm hoping one way or another it can be saved. If nothing else, my plan is to find someone that wants to restore/restomod one and just let them pay the minimum scrap/towing fee. It's going to cost a lot more than it's worth, I know. But that's why the
"at cost" pricing. I've yet to look at it in person. Far as I know, it might be rotted out. But then again, everything is made for it, I have a mig welder and a 15 yo boy that wants his first car. I just hate to see one go to the crusher....
Any other coupes in that scrap yard? Like a '67-'68 that's not rusted out in the door pillars/windshield post area?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any other coupes in that scrap yard? Like a '67-'68 that's not rusted out in the door pillars/windshield post area?
I highly doubt it. He would have sent me photos if there was.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Looks like a 54 cadillac in the pile behind it.....just above the mustang's roof! Man....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Save it. Since retiring 10 years ago I have brought back 10 vehicles that were given up on and returned to the road.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I even pulled a 390 FE motor out of the engine pile a few years ago. That one is still in the garage!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yea, I even pulled a 390 FE motor out of the engine pile a few years ago. That one is still in the garage!
Scott, didn't you tell me that 390 was a '66 casting? How complete is it other than the heads that you pulled off of it? Oh and does it have 3 or 4 bolt holes for the motor mounts? Just trying to see if it will work in my coupe. You said it was out of a truck or a T-Bird right?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
No kidding. My old lady always used to roll her eyes when I'd bring one home as they "looked" so bad. I guess its an acquired skill to see beyond multiple colors, etc. I would take that in a heart beat for a mere towing fee. As mentioned, they make everything for it and at a minimum it could be made into a nice gutted race car or something like that. Price is right anyhow.
A "Diamond in the rough".......My wife does get it....I do have a buddy however (who actually is a car guy), that can never see what I start with as ever being anything....LMAO
Tom

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have seen... and owed, a lot worse. My wife doesnt get it when I bring home a rusty shell just to resell or part out. But when I get one that's not rusty and fairly complete she gets it. Although a couple days later when it's stripped to the chassis, again... she doesnt get it. lol

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
My 69 Coupe was saved from the crusher, it was stripped of most parts & I got it as a shell just for the towuing fee to get it to my home.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,668 Posts
If I had the garage space and the bodywork know-how, I'd gladly take her in a heartbeat too... it makes me cringe every time I see a badly-treated classic car. They're a part of history and shouldn't be scrapped ever.

I'm sure that if no one else can take her (and I doubt that would happen) I could make space... :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts