Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stangers,

First, I had a blast at Mustangs in the Park. It was just what I needed; an excuse for a road trip to test things, a day with my VMF buds, great weather and realy nice cars.

Ok..bugs; The Track-loc noise problem was due to running Redline 75-90 transmission oil. The container said "for racing differentials" which was good enough for me but I failed to read on "can be used to reduce slip in limited slip differentials". Appartantly, the formulation is ment for MT with additives to enhance friction. Even though I added two bottles of modifier, it still grabbed. I drained the Redline and refilled with Sta-Lube and a tube of thier additive. Even before I got to the end of the driveway, I could tell something was different. No more noise! WooHOOO I cant tell you how embarrasing it was to have that rear end noise at Thunderhill!

Next bug: Front end noise from lower TCP control arm. I tried everything, I tightened bolts and nuts to no avail. I got a clue when I could get the sound to repeat by dropping the jack down. For lack of something else better to do, I relubed the ball joint. Sheesh, I can sure be a dumb ass sometimes! Speaking of dumb-ass, I forgot to put half my raffle tickets into the pot at the show! LOL

On the way to Sacramento, I was running a new tune and the car was crapping out under boost. John and Tom, that is why I didn't play with you guys on Westbound 50 :(. I switched to another tune and the car came back to life.

Probably the most asked question I heard, at the show, was how much power are you making? Altough a dyno pull is in the future, I have a good idea of the FWHP I am making because I know how much air the car is using. Based on the charts for HP vs Airflow, I'm at about 530-540 FWHP. I have a little more airflow to go before I max the MAF out. Currently, I think the boost is being controlled by the blow off valve. That means that the turbo waste gate could still be closed which really adds back pressure on the exhaust. I plan to try to get to 13 PSI on my next drive.

I am thinking about water injection. I am studying the web and making plans. As it is now, I am retarding timing at WOT using the Tweecer and a MSD BTM. With a setting off 1 (11 degrees retard at full boost) the car has no detonation I can hear. At a setting of zero, I can rattle the engine. My hope is that water injection will allow me to gai back the lost timing and run A/F ratios closer to 12:1. I get as low as 10:1 now. Done right, I should pick up another 50 FWHP at the current boost level of 11 PSI.

Thanks again for all the encourgement from my VMF friends. You guys are the best!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Don't pass up the thought of alcohol injection. Best mod I've done to my car. I'll even suggest a kit www.alkycontrol.com Julio will answer ANY questions you might have about it.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Great to see you at the show and finally check out TT331FB. My favorite part was all the gauging and computer instrumentation that you've got set up in the dashboard. Cool stuff!

While up in Reno I'm going to keep an eye out for some novel solutions to your "air cleaner issue." ::

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Does 10:1 risk washing the oil film off the cylinders and glazing them?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, 10:1 is not good for oil control. Typical A/F should be around 12.5:1 for best power/safe tune. Water injection will allow me to get back to more ideal A/F ratio.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, I really enjoyed seeing your car. the best part of it is that it is still not done. I can't wait to see that car driving down the road when it is complete. Goodluck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts