Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered up my 15x7 TTD's on Thursday, so now I'm trying to decide on the tires. I'm planning on 205/60/15 up front, but would like to know what folks are running on the rear. I've got a '65 with stock suspension and don't want to roll the fenders. So, should I go with the 205's all the way around or bigger in the rear? If any of you have pictures of your setup, I'd love to see 'em. Thanks!

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheels are standard 3.75 backspacing. I've read a lot of posts that said there were rubbing problems with any larger size tires up front with these wheels, hence the 205's.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
I used to run 235's on my 66. I now have 225's as the new tires I chose are not available in a 235.

Take your rims and your car to a reputable tire shop. Ask them kindly to help you install a couple of different sizes on the car whilst you take a look for possible problems....

This is what I did...

G

·
0 Posts
you're gonna love the rims.. i have the exact same ones on my 65 FB.. I also have BFG Radial T/A 205/60/15's all the way around and I constantly get (positive) comments on it. I think it looks great. I have stock suspension also w/ front disc (factory). I love the combo I have.. now if my car ran, that would be even better (I have issues with my head--on my car, that is)...

good luck!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think the 205's will give you decent traction and an unbulgy look.......

THey will fit the rim so to say.....

I have seen alot of people run a 15x7 inch wheel and run 245-265 tires and IT LOOKS DONKEY!!!!!

THe only way you would want to go wider tires is if you had something like 4.5 inch back spacing on a 15, 16 , 17 or 18x8 inch or more, wheel.

One has to keep the sectional width of the tire pretty close to
the width of the wheel. This way the "travel of the sidewall" is minimized when cornering, thus better steering response.

I think it will look mawvelous!!!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
In my experience, a 215 width is the largest you can run in a 60 series with original TTDs because of the 3.75" backspacing.

That's what I'm running on mine, the front fenders are rolled but not hammered flat and as you can see they barely fit.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I had rubbing front and rear with 225/60's on 15x7 TTD's. Went to 215/50's and everything is totally fine. Some
describe the tires as looking a little "short", but I like them myself. I used Dunlop SP Sport 5000's and love them.
Tread width is close to 9", never mind what the size suggests. Note - the photo is the old 225's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts