Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get a complete tubular chassis for a 66? Is there such a place?? You think it would be difficult to convert? Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think that is usally custom work. A all out race shop should be able to help if you bring enough $$$ with you. What are you trying to build?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanna build a race car out of a mustang, but the chassis is not strong enough for what I wanna do.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
You can easliy strengthen a subframe mustang. If you install subframe conectors, monte carlo bar, export brace, and since you are racing, you wil need a full roll cage anyway, it will strengthen it quite a bit. I have seen car's with 1000+ horsepower engines just with the mods I have mentioned.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Looks like another visit from the "parts rack"

G

·
0 Posts
I hace a '66 Coupe for sale. 4-link, a-arm front. Will accept any engine & is running right now with a 466/C-4. Car has been in the 8's & is NHRA certified to go to 7.50. It's easier to buy one, cheaper too. As for those leaf springs holding 1000 HP??? Not unless you want to spend some real $$$ I'm working on a sleeper '66, 408W with a Vortec "S" trim. About 800 HP & it's going in a stock front chassis, 4-link rear with a 12 point cage. BTW my '66 has a title & tag, head, tail, & brake lights, glass & steel doors, glass front, hood & trunk & has gone a 1.21 60'.
http://www.tulsahotrods.com/
click on our cars, 66 drag car. Got a ton of pics, more if ya want 'em!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I agree with Rick...much easier and more cost-effective to buy a race car already built...

For example, my race car runs in the mid-low 11's and can be had, with support parts, for around 10K turnkey. Rick's car, given its build state, would likely be twice that or more.

How fast do you want to go?? *G*

I'll post back with some links for chassis suppliers with whom I've had good experiences in the past......

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can check out this project http://www.carter-engineering.com/ for a tube frame '67. You didn't say if you need such a chassis for drag or road racing. For drag look to Competition Engineering. Road racing do some research on the current Trans-Am cars for ideas/inspiration. You can see my caged '67 at the link below. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts