Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please explain the process of tube flaring and its purpose. I'm going to do a fuel line setup and I'm not sure of the procedure and would like some of the gracious VFMer's to shed some light upon the subject. Could someone also recommend if a beginner should do this and what tools are required.
Thanks

Dave
Reading PA
66 Signal Flare Red Vert
302 2V, 15X7 Cragar SS's with 205/60s

·
Registered
529 Posts
I presume you're talking about double flares like on brake lines. I usually do my own using a tool kit I picked up for about $29.00. Not difficult at all after a bit of practice. The trick is to make sure the line doesn't slip in the vise for that first flare.
Basically, you flare the line by "ballooning" out the end such that the end wants to fold inward, which is what you force it to do for the second flare. That way the flared end is double thickness, which is mandatory for high-pressure brake fittings. Fuel and A/C lines aren't as critical so they may only have a single flared end.
Any auto parts store should have the kit in stock. You can typically do four different size lines with it. It's very simple and requires no extra tools.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You may want to send a private message to Hoosierbuddy. He has recently spent time installing/bending and flaring fuel lines.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
there is double flare tool in the harbor freight catalog for 9.99 and it seems like a fine tool..its worked well for me on my brake line so far//havent used for anything else/////

neverending

1 - 4 of 4 Posts