Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gathering up everything i need to start doing all the plumbing, of course a 25' roll of tubing was needed for the brake lines. anyone got any tricks to straighten the roll of tubing out? not trying to spend $300 on a straightener. Or better yet, anyone in the Seattle area have one i can borrow? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
brad

·
Registered
353 Posts
i'm gathering up everything i need to start doing all the plumbing, of course a 25' roll of tubing was needed for the brake lines. anyone got any tricks to straighten the roll of tubing out?
Generally speaking, you have to clamp one end down and unroll it on a flat surface, it will still have a little curve to it but you should be able to gently coax it back to enough straightness to deal with any straight run long enough for a Mustang.

If I had a lathe I might take a shot at making a tubing straightener, it's basically a bunch of grooved rollers bolted to a plate on alternate sides of the tube path, but right now it'd cost me more to make than to buy. It's on my list, but I'm not going to spend the money right now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
set the roll on edge on the floor, step on the end and unroll along the floor i did that for my fuel line
Kelly

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have no idea, but I have a question for you. Is that a Mustang tat on your back??

·
Registered
175 Posts
I get my brake line in straight sections (stainless).
With copper line at work we clamp one end (hook it to the floor or something stationary) and hook the other end to a bar (3ft prybar or something, hook or clamp it towards the middle of the pry bar). Put the bar against something bolted down and simply pry back, this gets the rolled tube perfectly straight. It should work the same with aluminum, any other material should not come in rolls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts