Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to rebuild my suspension in the spring (suspension always seems to be a hot topic on here). I was wondering if tubular control arms are worth the price as compared to the original control arms. If it doesn't make a significant difference I would just rather buy the originals because they are not cheap!

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Depends. How are you using the car?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's only a six, but I want it to be a comfortable cruiser that is enjoyable to drive...I understand it is an old car and it won't handle like new, but if its worth while I am gonna invest in a good suspension.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There can be benefits obtained from the addition of Custom Lower Control Arms. Many have Spherical Bearings, instead of the Rubber bushings, that are used in the Stock style arms. Some have the newer "Screw-in" style of ball-joints, which makes them replacable. There are versions, based on the OEM style, with the addition of extra reinforcement, and the Spherical Bearings, that would allow you to save some money. However, there are other things to be considered, Like..... Roller Spring Perch's?..... Export Brace?...... Sub-Frame Connectors?.... Monte-Carlo Bar?..... etc. If you haven't already done these mods, than I think your Money, would be "better spent" here, before the LCA's.

Just My .02 Sense.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
i use factory ford upper a-arm that have ben shortened and had the bj angle changed for 1.375" drop. i like the steel a-arm shaft type pivots and keep mine greased. to me the tube stuff isnt worth it and i roadrace. i do recomend a sperichal bearing be installed in the lower arm. the sperichal rod end strut rod kits and the ones with the delrin bushing strut rods are well worth the money. i also recomend a bearing type spring seat that bolts attop the upper a-arm that the coil spring sits on. i use all MOOG front end parts. using urathane sway bar end link busings and mounting bushings is worth the xtra few dollars.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I plan to rebuild my suspension in the spring (suspension always seems to be a hot topic on here). I was wondering if tubular control arms are worth the price as compared to the original control arms. If it doesn't make a significant difference I would just rather buy the originals because they are not cheap!
I went with TCPs version, if only for ease in doing alignment checks and still get a 1" drop. Money was not an issue.
Happy Motoring!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think there is anything magical about the tubular stuff. The tubular stuff is nice and convenient. If money is not an issue, then why not. However, you can make the stock stuff perform as well with some mods and fab work. I am frugal (my wife calls it cheap). Plus, I enjoy the fab and mod work. So, I boxed the upper and lower control arms, modified the upper ball joint angle, lowered the UCA mounting point 1 3/4 inches, replace the LCA bushing, and put roller bearing in the spring saddles.

I used the the money I saved over going with the tubular stuff for front-end tools and a four wheel Cobra big brakes (based on Mustang Steve brackets).

I think I have a pretty awesome setup, but it was a fair amount of work and took a bit of skill. My setup will perform as well as the tubular stuff at a much lower price. Only thing is my setup looks basically stock to the untrained eye. No eye candy under the fender (I can live with that, I actually like people believing my car is mostly stock hehe....:) )

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Ah, guys, he want's a "comfortable cruiser" 6-cylinder car. Let's not over-think this. I don't think "track day" or autocross is in his future. Neither is easy replacement of ball joints an issue. If his are good, I doubt his "comfortable cruiser" will ever need new ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah, guys, he want's a "comfortable cruiser" 6-cylinder car. Let's not over-think this. I don't think "track day" or autocross is in his future. Neither is easy replacement of ball joints an issue. If his are good, I doubt his "comfortable cruiser" will ever need new ones.
True, True! I seem to live to over do things. A refreshed, but perfectly stock suspense will serve "comfortable cruiser" duty just fine.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I don't think there is anything magical about the tubular stuff. The tubular stuff is nice and convenient. If money is not an issue, then why not. However, you can make the stock stuff perform as well with some mods and fab work. I am frugal (my wife calls it cheap). Plus, I enjoy the fab and mod work. So, I boxed the upper and lower control arms, modified the upper ball joint angle, lowered the UCA mounting point 1 3/4 inches, replace the LCA bushing, and put roller bearing in the spring saddles.

I used the the money I saved over going with the tubular stuff for front-end tools and a four wheel Cobra big brakes (based on Mustang Steve brackets).

I think I have a pretty awesome setup, but it was a fair amount of work and took a bit of skill. My setup will perform as well as the tubular stuff at a much lower price. Only thing is my setup looks basically stock to the untrained eye. No eye candy under the fender (I can live with that, I actually like people believing my car is mostly stock hehe....:) )
You should post a nice write up on this. I am also...frugal. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
A 6 cylinder cruiser...The stock suspension is perfect.

On another note. I think the stock suspension works better than several aftermarket kits. Just because it looks fancy and is power coated doesn't mean it works better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tubular A- Arms

They are worth it performance wise! I would not pay that kind of money for them....That is why I built my own for under 175.00 for both A-Arms!My A-arms are adjustable Heim joints and have heavier duty ball joints and the correct geometry for my lowered suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with those who say stay stock, with some lower cost upgrades. I have built up the suspensions of a 90 Mustang LX, a 93 Mustang Cobra and a 2004 Grand Prix GTP with high-end aftermarket stuff. On the 93, I went top of the line with everything. Frankly, I don't think you can take full advantage of that technology unless you're racing. On the street you really can't (or surely shouldn't) push a car to the extremes to where the real effects of those pieces come into play, at least to the degree that it's worth the big bucks you pay for them. The stock suspensions on all of those cars were pretty good.

I'm restoring a 73 Coupe with a Cleveland that will be a hot engine and I've decided that I'll probably just get all Moog components, box the stock-style control arms, use the Opentracker roller perches (heard too many good things to pass them up), some progressive rate springs, upgraded sway bars with poly bushings and a good set of shocks, maybe Konis. I'd also do the Shelby drop if it was a 65-70, but I've heard the 71-73's arms are already lowered (is that correct?). I want to try this and compare it to the other cars that I spent big bucks on and see if they were worth it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
For what you are doing go stock and frankly, I would stick to rubber bushings unless you want to live with road noise. If you have a loud motor then road noise is the least of your worries but for a roughly stock car that is driven a lot, save your pennies. The Arning or Shelby drop is worth while if you are up for it but if you don't have wider wheels and an aggressive driving style it probably won't change your life.

My experience is that however good you get your car to handle, you get used to it and then start wondering what else you can do. Its a sickness...

I have been beating the daylights out of stock unmodified components for 15 years still using rubber. I don't care about getting top time of the day, I like to drive and she holds her own. Next winter's project is the the front end and may box some, do the spring perches, new rubber all around but I probably won't get too crazy. At some point you just gotta say its a 60's grocery getter or as Shelby called them when first approached to do the Gt350 "its a secretary's car". The guys that are competitive are in super/turbocharged Subaru's these days (...no respect...)

2 more cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts