Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this alternator from NPD 2 years ago. It is a Tuff Stuff 100 amp alternator. I had my mechanic install it. Now I am replacing my wiring in my engine compartment. I noticed that the mechanic attached the white wire of the engine wiring after cutting off the end to the green wire that comes out of a plug with a green and yellow wire on the alternator . He left the yellow wire alone. The red and ground wires are attached normally. As I look at the install instructions it appears that both the yellow and green wire are supposed to be attached. I’ve had no problems with the alternator so it appears to be working normally.

My car is a 1966 Mustang coupe with a 302.

Is the wiring in this manner ok?

Allen

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Sounds fine to me. The '66 charging circuit doesn't use any STATOR output so even though it's a Delco-Remy GM-based alternator (14SI) it still relies solely on FIELD current to initiate charging and that is what the white wire is for. Feel free to use the unused Stator wire to run an electric choke or to trigger anything else, like a fuel pump relay, that needs to know only when the engine is spinning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts