Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys seen this? I go to the Tulsa show every year (have for the last 7 or 8 anyway) and this year Carroll Shelby is going to be there???!!!

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In another bold move to continue as America’s leading automotive performance icon, Carroll Shelby and Team Shelby have signed an agreement to make the Mid-America Ford Performance and Shelby Meet the Team Shelby Nationals, which will be held annually in Tulsa, Okla. The pre-eminent Ford and Shelby show for the past 33 years, it attracts 30,000 people annually. As the new Home of Team Shelby, Carroll plans to attend the Inaugural 2008 Team Shelby Nationals on June 12–15.
“We formed Team Shelby to give all Shelby enthusiasts more ways to enjoy a high octane lifestyle,” said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby Automobiles and the first member of Team Shelby. “I’ve admired the way that Jim Wicks, Randy Roberts and David Apgar and everyone at the Mid-America Ford Performance and Shelby Meet have grown their event following this same philosophy. So instead of creating a new event, we decided to partner with the best and create a national Team Shelby event that would show just how much we appreciate all Shelby, Ford and Mustang fans across the country.”

The longest-running, multi-faceted event of its kind, the Mid-America Ford Performance and Shelby Meet began as a picnic hosted by Jim Wicks and a group of diehard enthusiasts in 1974. Today, it has blossomed into a multi-day event with drag racing, road racing exhibitions, a trade show, a cruise night, car show and a banquet. The agreement with the event organizers was finalized earlier this month.

·
Registered
623 Posts
From what I have heard the Mid America Meet is older than the SAAC Convention. I can't confirm but I don't think Jim Wicks is a member of SAAC anymore. And Carroll has teamed up with Wicks and is making this the banner event for Team Shelby...to compete with the SAAC event.

I do know from talking to friends that have been to the Tulsa event that it is as good or even better than the SAAC Convention.

There are a number of my friends from Calif that have never gone to Tulsa that are planning on making the 1450 trip to the event since the SAAC Convention has been pushed back to August.

Sooooo we'll see how it all comes out.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
The fact that Team Shelby is choosing this event tells me they know their audience.

-bob

·
Registered
623 Posts
bob said:
The fact that Team Shelby is choosing this event tells me they know their audience.

-bob
A friend of mine went to the Shelby birthday bash in Vegas and said he had the ONLY vintage car at the open track event. All the cars were the new GT500's and other new Shelby's. I think the new club is going to be modeled around the guys that have bought the new cars. He also said he knew no one at the event and asked Bondurant if he knew any of them....and again no was the answer. It appeared to my friend that they were all in their 30's and 40's.

Would seem like there should be 2 separate clubs....SAAC for the old cars and Team Shelby for the new stuff. All those guys are such bone heads they can't even sit down and figure out a solution to all this stuff. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Well, MCA pulls off catering to both crowds - so it's possible to do. Some events are definitely oriented towards the new cars, some are a good mix. It all depends on who shows up.

The Tulsa event is always a good mix of old and new - so I go back to my point: it's a good event for them to pick up on. By embracing that event, they'll engage a great cross-section of old/new and show/drag/road race interests.

-bob

·
Registered
623 Posts
bob said:
Well, MCA pulls off catering to both crowds - so it's possible to do. Some events are definitely oriented towards the new cars, some are a good mix. It all depends on who shows up.

The Tulsa event is always a good mix of old and new - so I go back to my point: it's a good event for them to pick up on. By embracing that event, they'll engage a great cross-section of old/new and show/drag/road race interests.

-bob
I wonder how this will impact the number of cars that will show up for open track. I know from past experience out here its possible to try and get too many on the track and then everyone suffers and ends up not having the time they had hoped for.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There is a limit on # of cars
Saturday is usally(always) wide open
And sometimes they run it backwards to mix things up
Friday will sell out!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Living only 45 minutes away, I'll be there. I'm gonna stay at a friend's house there that is really close to the Marriot, and you can bet the 'stang will be with me. Gonna be so awesome!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been trying to get there for years and this year looks to be achievable. Got my hotel reservations and suggest everybody get there's early, especially with the Team Shelby news.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts