Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 65 fastback, and was wondering what would be the best engine suited to turbo for it?

Would really appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whatever engine you want to put in it. That is a VERY open ended question.

What are your power goals?
planned use for the vehicle?
budget?
do you have to pass emissions?

Judging by this question, you know nothing about turbo's so you should probably start reading and read a LOT before you even consider starting the project. Corky Bells "Maximum Boost" is a good place to start. Tons of info online as well.

I would say a 5.0HO with the factory forged pistons is a good engine if you are just looking for something to drop in and throw a turbo on. I have a 5.0HO engien in my Mazda RX7, I converted it to a blow-thru carb setup and turbo'd it with great success. It is a widely used and widely available and cheap engine. Responds great to boost and can handle 500-600 horsepower generally.

you can turbo ANY engine that you want to. Most engines can handle minimal boost bone stock but it's is always a good idea to have a stout bottom end and almost a must to have forged pistons if you are new to turbos.

Good Luck

·
Registered
638 Posts
As far as Classic Mustangs go, you'd be better off to forget the term Turbo and consider supercharging. Having to manufacture the manifold(s) is enough of a pain without trying to figure out the rest of the logistical challenges. The Classic Mustangs agree more with the Paxtons and Vortechs than anything else.

I have a Turbo Mustang (SVO) 4 banger and she does fine with the turbine but with only 140 C.I. I have plenty of room in the engine compartment for her 400+ h.p. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but don't waste your money down the Turbo+Classic Mustang route, you'll only regret it later.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As far as Classic Mustangs go, you'd be better off to forget the term Turbo and consider supercharging. Having to manufacture the manifold(s) is enough of a pain without trying to figure out the rest of the logistical challenges. The Classic Mustangs agree more with the Paxtons and Vortechs than anything else.

I have a Turbo Mustang (SVO) 4 banger and she does fine with the turbine but with only 140 C.I. I have plenty of room in the engine compartment for her 400+ h.p. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but don't waste your money down the Turbo+Classic Mustang route, you'll only regret it later.
I am going to have to completely disagree with you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
K,

I am not saying it is not possible, but for a new to classic mustang member, it certainly would be an expensive and involved process. I wouldn't recommend it, especially since it will likely be more difficult and less conducive to actually drive and enjoy. More time will be spent on the project trying to iron out the more difficult aspects and that leaves less time to enjoy the ride.

I have experience with both forms of power addition and I know that in my case, if it was a turbo setup that I wanted for my classic, it would be one of those projects that would more than likely lost steam and end up unfinished. Besides, with so many of us on here who can offer advice and assistance, it diminishes how many can help. I'm sure that your opinion is otherwise, but I would recommend to start with tried and true combinations and get more difficult after that.

·
Registered
571 Posts

I agree.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Do you have the Mustang already,or are you thinking of purchasing one?
If you are set on a Turbo 65 your best bet would be a 5.0,type,FI engine but mounting the very HOT turbo under hood is going to suck. Packageing something that size that is HOT and cooling the engine will be a PITA. The rear mounted Squires set up will give you a turbo setup but....
A Paxton set up works well and has History with the car line.

Now a 67-68 gives a little more room under hood that will help,for best results stay with a 289/302 based engine. With a Shelby R type front valance you may even be able to use a charge cooler,but you still have to deal with a HOT turbo....

Have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts