Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the turn signals and brake lights on my 66 coupe. My tailights work fine as do my headlights. When I hit the brakes nothing happens with the lights. Likewise when I use the turn indicator nothing happens. My car is a GT clone and has the dual exhaust coming out of the ground effect addition. Should these lights indicate turns or what? I have a Chiltons manual and find it a bit confusing and am waiting on my shop manual to arrive. Anybody have any idea why my brake lights and turn signals are not working?

·
Registered
35,308 Posts
First place to check would be the fuse. The brake lights and turn signals are on the same circuit. The fuse box is located above the driver's side kick panel, hidden behind the dash. Try that first.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fuses and they are all fine. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Check your brakelight switch. I can almost gaurantee you that's the problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may sound like a silly question, but how do I check the brakelight switch? Where is it at? I am looking at this Childton's and can't find anything. This is the first car project I have ever done and am very green. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Another possibility is a blown turn signal switch, but I would suspect the brake switch first. It's cheaper and easier to replace.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went and found the switch. I guess it is the plug type thing that is attached to the brake pedal. One of the wires is only held to the switch by two strands. So, it looks like that might be the problem. Now the question is, what is the official name for that part. I have gone to several parts sights and have come up empty. Oh well, at least we are making progress.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
or Brake Switch. Partsmen will know what you mean. Take in the old one and compare it to the new one.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts