Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of what is supposed to cancel the turn signals on a 66 mustang? I just replaced my turn signal cam but the signal lights arent cancelling when I turn my steering wheel. Whats supppsed to go in the back of the steering wheel to cancel the tur signal when I rotate the wheel?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The aftermarket switches are junk. If you have brake lights, turn signals, horn, and emergency flashers, consider yourself very fortunate that the cancelling cam is the only thing not working.
I have brake lights and turn signals. Had to disconnect the E-flasher and my horn button is under the dash. I'm living with it.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have E flashers or a horn...never did. I've never cared. I had issues with one of my brake lights not working but I just fixed that. So I do have working brake lights and signal lights. I didn't replace my turn signal switch, just the cancelling cam that goes on the turn signal switch because the plastic tips were broken. I'm trying to figure out what those plastic tips hook onto when turning the steering wheel to cancel the turn signal

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
The back of the steering wheel has a pressed on ring, usually an orange-red color with two pegs that should be around the 8 and 10 o'clock position when installed. They cancel the signal cam after first passing by then hooking the cam on the way back.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that image. My steering wheel doesnt have that. Looks like I'm going to have to order one. What would you call that piece?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought this was the turn signal cam? This is the new one I just installed. I need to know the name of the piece that hooks onto this to cancel the turn signal when you turn the steering wheel.

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
I thought this was the turn signal cam? This is the new one I just installed. I need to know the name of the piece that hooks onto this to cancel the turn signal when you turn the steering wheel.
It is commonly CALLED that but is, in fact, the turn signal SELECTOR cam.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the turn signal cancelling cam go behind this unit? If so, i also noticed theres a gap between the unit and where my turn signal selector cam is located (2nd pic). Is that normal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts