Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left turn signal doesn't turn off automatically. I bought a new canceling cam, but am unsure how to remove from column. I have the steering wheel off and the turn signal lever out-does the whole turn signal switch have to be removed or can just the cam be removed?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The cam is a press-fit collar that goes around the steering column and can be replaced withouth removing anything but the steering wheel.

If your right signals cancel, but not the left, then you must already have a cancel cam in the car, and the problem is most likely a broken switch (the arms of it hit on the cam to cancel them). In that case, you need to replace the switch. You can replace the whole nine yards (switch + wiring), or just the switch, soldering it to the existing wiring after cutting out the old switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnpro for your response. I can see the cam and the bottom (left turn cancel) finger is broken. My problem is that the canceling switch seems attached to the rest of the turn signal switch (no problem with the rest of the switch). I'm afraid of just prying it off, fearing somrthing will break. I have the replacement cam and it has two wires attached to it with the other ends of the wires open.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nothing will break if you are careful. The post that holds it on was badly broken on mine so I sheered it off and tapped it for a machine screw. It is rock solid now and I can easily take the cam on and off if I want without having to worry about that washer breaking.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I did the cam replacement, works worse than the broken one did, I had to trim the contacts because they overshot the connection point and wouldn't activate the signals, and now the lever won't stay up, so my left signal is on all the time. I have a bungee cord wrapped on the column to hold it in a neutral position. There is a small metal hold down on the cam that you need to break to remove it. The new cam comes with a new clip. I would get a whole new switch though, I will as soon as I get some cash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To all interested, the cam works great so far. The wiring was a little tight, but it's done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts