Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a weird one that started today. If I have just my park lights on, my left turn signal indicator stays on (not blinking). When I use the left turn signal with the lights on or off, both front turn signals blink very dimly. When I use the right turn signal, it works fine. Both rear turn signals work fine. Im not sure where to even start. The last thing I did to the car was to pull the instrument cluster back far enough to remove the inner speedometer cable to lubricate it this morning. Maybe something came unplugged ??

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Did you drive the car after you lubed the speedometer. cable? You could have a broken turn signal unit or lost the ground to the cluster.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Also, check the bulbs, especially the left front one, but all of them while you're at it.

It's possible that someone shoved the wrong bulb in there and it's shorting out or doing something weird. They're supposed to be 1157s with 2 filaments in them, but single filament bulbs can be made to fit, or the bulb could just be bad.

If someone's put in some cheaper LEDs that can cause problems too. A lot of the LEDs aren't really designed with our old cars in mind so they can do strange things (like dimly lighting up the other bulb) when you put them in our old Mustangs.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,378 Posts
My instant first thought was exactly what Woodchuck said.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. Im about to start the investigation and will report back.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I once had an 1157 in which one of the filaments broke and then laid across the other. Every time that I stepped on the brake, the clock would dim. And, my brake lights didn't work.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Corrosion in the LF park lamp socket. Had to take the bulb out in pieces. Im going to try to find a replacement socket locally. If not, I'll order a pair of new repro light assemblies. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, here is how I made the repair. I bought a Dorman 1157 bulb socket # 85803 at O'riellys for less than $3.00. After removing the park light assembly, I removed the old bulb socket by folding the inside lip of the socket out from the inner housing. I then removed the inner housing which is held in place by 2 tiny rivets. I was actually able to just pry the housing apart from the back of the outer housing. After cleaning and re-painting the inner housing, I installed the new socket. there are tabs on the socket which can be folded over from the inside and hammered down with a punch for a tight fit. I used silicone to seal the new bulb socket to the inner housing. I then soldered the ground wire to the bulb socket. the 2 wires that come from the pigtail are then soldered to the new bulb socket wires. Make sure to ohm out the original wires and follow the side of the bulb socket that they go too. You will know it is backwards when the park light is very bright and the turn signal is very dim. Ask me how I know ;). There is no need to screw the inner housing to the outer housing as the 2 screws that hold the lens on will also hold the inner housing in place. It was an easy process and I plan on replacing the other side just for the heck of it. Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
So, here is how I made the repair. I bought a Dorman 1157 bulb socket # 85803 at O'riellys for less than $3.00. After removing the park light assembly, I removed the old bulb socket by folding the inside lip of the socket out from the inner housing. I then removed the inner housing which is held in place by 2 tiny rivets. I was actually able to just pry the housing apart from the back of the outer housing. After cleaning and re-painting the inner housing, I installed the new socket. there are tabs on the socket which can be folded over from the inside and hammered down with a punch for a tight fit. I used silicone to seal the new bulb socket to the inner housing. I then soldered the ground wire to the bulb socket. the 2 wires that come from the pigtail are then soldered to the new bulb socket wires. Make sure to ohm out the original wires and follow the side of the bulb socket that they go too. You will know it is backwards when the park light is very bright and the turn signal is very dim. Ask me how I know ;). There is no need to screw the inner housing to the outer housing as the 2 screws that hold the lens on will also hold the inner housing in place. It was an easy process and I plan on replacing the other side just for the heck of it. Thanks
View attachment 738999 View attachment 739000 View attachment 739001 View attachment 739002 View attachment 739003 View attachment 739004
Great post. Very well done.

Reactions: Fitch
1 - 10 of 10 Posts