Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had the indicator lights on the dash connected. I bought the correct bulbs and socket and am trying to connect them to the two wires (green-white and white-blue) coming out of the turn signal switch. Both wires have power going through them when the respective switches are on, which I've confirmed with a multimeter. But when I connect the wires from the bulb sockets to the wires, the light don't turn on. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,142 Posts
ground?

Reactions: lucasp

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps grounding is my issue. How would I go about grounding the wires?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you using a stock or aftermarket gauge cluster? The bulbs might be grounded through the socket housing.. just guessing though

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of the bulb socket I'm trying to connect to the wires. Do I run a ground wire from the connection of the bulb socket to the respective wires coming out of the turn signal switch?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I did not see any. The socket is supposed to be an instrument panel light bulb socket (1895 size bulb) for 65-68 Mustangs. I didn't get to figuring out how I'm going to attach the socket to the cluster yet since I couldn't figure out how to work the lights.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ground for all of the instrument panel lights, including turn signal indicators are grounded through the metal backing of the instrument cluster. The socket is supposed to be metal and when plugged into the panel the ground is connected. The socket is the ground. That doesn’t look like an original socket. Is it metal? My 66 has prongs on the sockets that act as retainers also ensuring the ground connection when you push the socket into the panel.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe it has the metal backing, so I will try to actually insert them in the cluster to see if they work. Do the turn signal light indicators use the same bulb/socket combo as the instrument panel lights or are they different?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it...yes, those are the sockets I have. Thanks for your help! Now I have to see how I clip those onto the cluster.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
No, I did not see any. The socket is supposed to be an instrument panel light bulb socket (1895 size bulb) for 65-68 Mustangs. I didn't get to figuring out how I'm going to attach the socket to the cluster yet since I couldn't figure out how to work the lights.
That socket should just snap into the hole in the cluster housing. Also, I believe your turn signal lamps use the same style of single wire socket.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The wire socket will be grounded when you snap it in place, the cluster should be grounded.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here are pics of the cluster housing where the turn signal light indicator bulbs are supposed to go. Am I missing a bracket? How do the bulbs snap in place?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,142 Posts
Looks like custom gauges, youre going to need to modify the stock steel backing plate to get your lights mounted.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have a picture of the back of their cluster or what those backing plates are supposed to look like?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,142 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the back of their cluster or what those backing plates are supposed to look like?
Did you ever say what year you're working on?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts