Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues with the turn signals on my '65 coupe...drivers side works fine, passenger side blinks VERY slow and stays lit (i.e. stops flashing) when brakes are applied. If it helps, brake and headlights all function normally and all bulbs work.

What should I check to track down the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Grounds

The answer is always the grounds. I don't know why it's always the grounds, it just is.

First make sure the bulbs are good. The filaments inside can break and flop around and kinda work sometimes.

If that's not it make sure the insides of the sockets are clean, and the grounds are good for both the front and rear turn signals. You should probably check both sides too.

If the grounds are bad then the power can loop back from the bright filament to the dim filament and then through it's wiring over to the other side of the car where the ground is good (hopefully). This causes all sorts of weird stuff to happen, especially if you're trying to use LEDs, but also with your normal bulbs sometimes.

·
Premium Member
11,802 Posts
brake and headlights all function normally and all bulbs work.
Grounds
The answer is always the grounds. I don't know why it's always the grounds, it just is.
First make sure the bulbs are good.
He says the brake lights function normally. The filament inside the 1157 bulb that is actuated by the brake light switch is the same filament that is activated by the flasher. If the brake lights work it is NOT a grounding problem. It is a turn signal switch problem. The TSS determines whether the bright light filament is activated by the brake light switch or by the flasher.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I was thinking to ask make sure bulbs are matching type, brands.
Not thinking flasher because it's side specific.
But perhaps a marginal ground, cause different current draw, causing diff flashing rate.

I know OP says "brake lights work" but same intensity?

·
Registered
191 Posts
While you are checking the grounds look at the tabs in the tail light buckets. Mine were touching on the passenger side, a little dremel work and I had blinkers again. Might also be that I ran dedicated grounds from the housings to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, all bulbs are the same and everything was working fine up until last weekend. Brake lights are the same intensity and work.

Is there a specific connection/wire on the turn signal switch that I should check?

·
Premium Member
11,802 Posts
Is there a specific connection/wire on the turn signal switch that I should check?
If you want to try to diagnose and repair the problem this is the part that determines what will power a brake/turn signal light- the brake light switch or the flasher. When you remove the steering wheel you will see the head of a screw attaching this part to the main body of the TSS. This is the underside so you must remove the screw and take this off to see the 2 spring wires.
TSS Brake or Turn Signal Cam.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts