Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my right turn signal on, the light does not work. All I get is a quickly repeating noise (sounds like a normal turn signal noise but sped up by a factor of 2 or 3). I changed bulbs and cleaned the contact at the base. The other side works fine so do the brake lights and all the lights work when the parking/headlights are applied as well. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Passenger tail light and passenger parking light only when the turn signal is attempted. How would I check for a bad ground condition?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The sockets are probably shot. especially the front parking lamp socket is known for goign bad because it gets teh bullk of mud, dirt, snow, salt and water thrown at it constantly. Pull the bulb out of the front, and see if the spring still works by pushing it down in the center with your finger or pencil eraser. the contact is made of a soft metal on teh bulb as well and sometimes they wear down and don't make good contact.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This may sound strange, but I would suggest that you also check the bulbs. My son had problems with his flashers on his blazer. I took the dash apart, and then checked the bulbs. He mistakenly put in a two contract bulb instead of a one contact, and it was shorting out the entire system. From that I learned to check the bulbs first to make sure that I have the right bulbs.

G

·
Take the bulbs out of the front and rear. Turn the turn signal on and test the contacts for voltage.

Could be a number of things from bad sockets, wrong bulbs or even a bad turn signal switch.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check the voltage at the contacts. Both front and rear are brand new assemblies replacing bulbs, hardware, etc. I checked each one out right after the switch to make sure (instead of doing them all and then checking) and they worked at the time. Any idea what voltage I should see at the contact? Thanks for the assistance.

Kelly

G

·
If they are new repro, then this is most likely the problem. Everytime I use a repro taillight or parking lamp, I ALWAYS have problems with the contacts. Turn your parking lights on and observe if one light is brighter than the other. This could mean the contacts are shorting out across the bulb or the bulb is not aligned in the socket properly. You might have to break the wiring seal on the back of the parking lamp to get the bulb to seat properly. Just another lovely problem with reproduction parts. I always buy NOS or good used parking lamps and always use good original taillight buckets. I have a whole box of them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts