Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an aftermarket nine bolt steering wheel of unknown origin on my 1966. I'm having a devil of a time getting my turn signals to cancel correctly. The only thing on the back of the wheel that protrudes is a 1/2 inch long roll pin that I've centered on the white nylon switching mechanism attached to the turn signal lever. The switching mechanism is new and in perfect shape. With the roll pin centered on the turn signal lever, right turns cancel but then the left turn signal starts flashing as I return the steering wheel to center. Left turns do not cancel at all. I think I'm missing a "cancelling cam" which I've been unable to find as a new part. I have found an NOS version and am wondering whether that will solve my problem? Incidentally, the majority of Google searches bring up the switching mechanism when "canceling cam" is used as a search word. For clarity I've attached photos of the turn signal switch and a canceling cam. I also am wondering if a canceling cam for GM products might work? Of course they are readily available.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Yes, that's the piece that goes on the STOCK wheel, but many hubs and adapters have pins. Yours has only one? Did one fall out?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question Woodchuck. I only have one pin. I'm gonna yank the wheel and check if there is a hole for another one.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
As I recall, the center of the turn signal switch plate is at 9 o'clock position. The 2 2 pins or cam eccentrics should be at roughly 8 an 10 o'clock position when steering wheel is centered

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Glock, that makes sense. Since I only have one pin, I'm going to drill a hole and insert another if a hole is needed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up at Summit Racing and bought a whole assortment of roll pins for 10 bucks. Popped a couple of new ones into the steering wheel and the turn signals work like they should. I live in Arlington,Texas about 15 minutes away from the Summit warehouse. I can remember building our 32 Ford for the Detroit Autorama and paying 50 bucks shipping for overnight Saturday delivery of a 5 dollar part that we had to have in order to make it to Detroit on time. Man is it nice to be close to Summit!:)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Glad to hear that you found your "turn signal gremlin". I have to agree with the "shipping" costs on some parts. It's ridiculous to pay $6 to have a $2 item shipped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts