Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '66, and although the turn signals work (in that they signal the turns), they don't cancel. So I have to manually cancel every time I signal a turn.

I did a search on the forum and found an old post from 2007 that kind of addresses this:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/550473-replacing-turn-signal-switch-wiring.html

That post, in turn, links up to an even older MM article.

After reading through that stuff, I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with. First, will a turn signal switch address the no-canceling problem? I think it will, but I want to make sure. Second, on a scale of 1 to 10, how tough is it to do this? The poster in that thread above seemed to have some problems. I know I need to get a steering wheel pull tool, but I'm assuming Autozone or someplace like that carries them.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
OK, if you have the stock steering wheel, you probably need a switch. The cancelling arms tend to break over time on 64-66 switches.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, if you have the stock steering wheel, you probably need a switch. The cancelling arms tend to break over time on 64-66 switches.
I replaced the stock steering wheel with a standard 13" Grant repro. So if I replace the switch, will that fix the canceling issue? Also how hard is it to do?

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
If the Grant was installed without the cancelling pins, it will never cancel.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yoma,

Common failure. Not hard to replace the switch (I'd give it a 3 on a scale of 10) buy the expensive replacement unit, not the cheap one made it china. Be sure to pull a tough nylon string through when removing the bad unit and use it as a pull string for the new unit.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just went through that fiasco. I had installed a new import switch a while back and the signal's would never cancel. I replaced it with a new "Scott Drake" switch and it works great. As mentioned above, make sure you have the canceling pin's on your Grant.

Marty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I need to get the full switch? Or can I just use a turn signal cancel cam? There's nothing wrong with the turn signal itself-- it just doesn't cancel.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Do I need to get the full switch? Or can I just use a turn signal cancel cam? There's nothing wrong with the turn signal itself-- it just doesn't cancel.
I have been able to get that replacement cam to work exactly once, and it was a real pain. The generic replacement switch is less than $30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts