Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased the car, the signals never cancelled. I figured the cam mechanism was bad. I recently replaced the entire switch and still no canceling of the signals. What am I missing? Are there contacts or something that might be worn out?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There should be a sleeve around the steering shaft that trips the switch to cancel. That may need to be adjusted. It can be slipped around and up & down. Just remove the steering wheel and you should see it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the steering wheel. The only thing I found was the spring, the turn signal switch, the shaft bearing and the plate that retains the switch. On the steering wheel side I find only the two tracks for the horn contacts. Does something come into contact with those tabs on the switch or ??? Maybe there is something wrong with the steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
You are missing the cam return ring on the back side of the steering wheel: it slips over the main collar that mates with the steering wheel shaft. That cam return ring is not reproduced, but any Ford wheel from that era will have it, if you can find a junkyard that has old Fords.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@&$%! Okay, thanks. Anyone have one laying around? An image of one would be awesome- that way I know what I'm looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts