Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some trouble with my '70 Mach 1. Just replaced all bulbs, headlights (OEM equivalent), turn signal switch and hazard fuse. Hazards blink but turn signals do not. If I apply the brakes, hazards/signals just stay on. Doesn't matter if the headlights are on or off. Not really sure where to go from here since I replaced the switch in the steering column. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You probably need a turn signal flasher. There are 2. One for hazards and one for turn signals.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
what was the issue b4 you started replacing stuff?

sounds like a ground/socket problem with one of the double filament bulbs in the rear

·
Registered
829 Posts
Headlights and turn/hazard are separate circuits and don't interact. Hazards will override the turn signals. With the turn signals off, and hazards on, the rear lights should stop blinking and stay on for as long as the brake is depressed. The 70s have a real wacky turn system that takes three pages to explain. If you are interested I'll post the schematics, although with this new forum software I don't see a way to get email notification that you want it, so I may never get back to this post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what was the issue b4 you started replacing stuff?

sounds like a ground/socket problem with one of the double filament bulbs in the rear
I got the car in April. It didn't have marker lights or hood turn signals. Replaced the bulbs, marker lights and parking lights and nothing happened. Tried everything, even the turn signal switch. Now I'm at a loss.

Headlights and turn/hazard are separate circuits and don't interact. Hazards will override the turn signals. With the turn signals off, and hazards on, the rear lights should stop blinking and stay on for as long as the brake is depressed. The 70s have a real wacky turn system that takes three pages to explain. If you are interested I'll post the schematics, although with this new forum software I don't see a way to get email notification that you want it, so I may never get back to this post.
I'll take any help I can get. Right now, the lights are steady on with brakes. Flashers work fine until then. Ordered the hazard fuse? that goes behind the radio and the bus fuse in the box. Hopefully the 20amp one fixes it. Other than that I assume it's a grounding issue. Not sure where to look for those.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The 70 marker lights hook up differently than the 69- make sure you have the wiring correct- and the correct marker lights. The 70 markers don't ground at the housing, they have two wires and connect back into the circuit. The markers flash in sync with the turn signals with the headlights/park lights off, but out of sync (alternately) when the headlights/park lights are on. You can't use LEDs. This is how they work:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts