Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I was finishing up on the lighting over the winter I had everything working. Brake lights, tailights, turn signals, emg flashers, backup lights. I encountered a grounding problem with the sport lamps and ran an extra ground wire to them .Problem solved, Then I began to blow out back up lights but not at the same time. replaced bulbs. Turn signals quit, bulbs all good. all marker and tailights began to dim. again adding a ground wire to one rear sidemarker brought back brightness to all bulbs. still no turn signals either showing up on dashboard nor outside 4 corners. flashers work great !, as do the brake lights. backup lights are DOA. tried the light tester with key on and trans in reverse with engine off. no current flow was showing. . retightened all factory grounds and scraped paint from under them but nothing changes. Pulled steering wheel to check TS cam. cleaned contacts, still nothing. I hate to buy a new TS harness only to find out that wasn't the problem because back ups also not working. are these tied in together ? Is there a second flasher under dash because while testing the flasher out with the light tester I would hear a click once or twice under the dash with key on and turn signal arm in the down position but it wasn't coming from the flasher I was holding on to !

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got the turn signals to work again. had loose connection at fuse box which I found out while using tester light. however at that time the backup lights also worked . that night I went to put the car in reverse and noticed the backup lights were not working again but the turn signals still worked. I turned the engine off and turned the key to activate the lights with the shifter in reverse and the BU lights were very dim and then went out all together. a blown fuse. replaced that and turn signals still work. ran a ground wire to bolt on firewall and to bolt on steering column to get a better ground. nothing changed ran new ground to tail light ground connection where BU ground goes. My BU lights are new housings ,lenses and I am using Halogen BU bulbs 55w/10w single point base. could these bulbs be over loading the system ? also the turn signals will not work in the reverse position. Getting close now !

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Are you sure you've got the right bulbs in there? Check the lamp housing - if you've got two terminals in the socket, you need a bulb with two terminals.

I ran into that problem when restoring my own '70. The bulb spec in the owner's manual was wrong. It called for a single pole 1156, but I needed a double pole 1142. I was blowing the fuse until I got the 1142 bulbs installed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no I tried to install 1157's but they wouldn't fit. the sylvania book called for 1156 but the housing is 2 pole. this afternoon i removed the right rear BU and it wasn't blown. Tonight I went to a cruise and My gauge light were flashing off and on after a few minutes. I disconnected the extra ground wires I added to the tail light ground plug connections and the left BU light worked, but not the right one. Gotta be a ground problem !I'll try the 42's tomorrow, thanks

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
So, are you using a one or two pole bulb?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!, problem solved the single pole in the double pole was the culpret. I could not find 1142's, but the 1004 bulbs with the same 2 pole non offset tabs did the trick.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Keith,,is the Breckenridge Lane cruise-in this Saturday?? Jeff K.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
1fastcar said:
Thanks!, problem solved the single pole in the double pole was the culpret. I could not find 1142's, but the 1004 bulbs with the same 2 pole non offset tabs did the trick.
No prob, glad I could help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts