Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 289 coupe and I want to tweak up the engine. I was thinking of an aftermarket cam heads intake and carb. Has anyone here done this before and what did you go with.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well, it all depends on how far you want to take it and how you drive the car...

Myself, I went with a Comp Cams solid lifter cam, Edlebrock single plane intake, Holley 700 cfm double pumper. I kept the stock heads but added larger valves and ported the runners. 10 years ago when I started to build my car, there wasn't nearly the choice of aftermarket heads like there is now. I'd like to try a set of aluminum AFR heads if I ever do swap my heads out.

A dual plane intake is almost always a better choice than a single plane intake for the street. Unless you plan on shifting well into the 6000 rpm range a good hi-rise dual plane intake will suit you fine.

Most people go with a hydraulic cam. They are quieter and require less maintence. How much duration you choose effects the operating range of the motor. Anything over 220 degree at .05 really starts to reduce vacuum at an idle, whcih can effect some accessories like power brakes. Your rear end gears should be factored into this choice. For my cam, I'm running 4.11 gears to help offset the loss of low end torque from the large amount of duration.

Don't forget, if you start messing with the motor, gears and/or a stall converter might be required to make the whole system work. A large cam with 2.80 gears and a stock stall converter isn't going to run well. The whole package needs to be though out in advance before $$$ is spent!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
From this post your sound like a novice. The typical mistake made by a novice is to go overboard and end up with drivability problems. On the carburetor you might be tempted to get get something like a holley 750 double pumper. This is way too much carburetor for a 289. Something like a edlebrock 550 CFM with vacume secondaries would be a much better choice. If you get a shift kit for the transmission, choose the street, not the strip install method.

How much do you want to spend? What is your overall objective? Are you wanting to work only on the engine or would you consider other speed enhancements that would give more bang for the buck?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts