Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have done it and those that want to.
One of our major problems with vintage mustangs is the turbo placement.
I do believe these guys have it all figured out.
Granted a vintage kit is not shown but look at the generic kit.
STS

·
Registered
663 Posts
WHy not remount the battery to the trunk and place the turbo in it's place. I have a friend here who is an industrial engineer and hass been putting turbos on everything from atv's to his SVO powered RX7, and I know he is currently working on a twin turbo kit for his 65 fastback. I'll see how far along he is and maybe get some pictures.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You miss-read the post. I am not installing them on my mustang.
Previous posters have inquired the install.
This is something i came upon while looking for a twin turbo setup for my daytona coupe.
The number one problem with turbo's under the hood is heat generated. Second problem is the exhaust fabrication. Take a look at the setup.
The original tube style headers maybe used. Turbo headers can go for 600 to 900. Then the hassle with valve cover interference.
Remove the turbo heat from the engine compartment heat.....the turbo becomes more efficient.
I may end up installing a set on the wife's new GT.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
When I first heard about that kit they were putting it on a 'vette on the Spike PowerBlock a year ago or so. I thought about going that route with my '66 since I want to go with a twin turbo 427W, unfortunately I'm not quite there in the progress or in my finances to worry about the motor yet.

That's the kit I want to install that on my 07 GT/CS but I don't have $8000 right now.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price is actually cheaper than that for the 07. Call and check.
I do believe my quote was around 6500.
They are in the process of updating the prices.
I was looking at first for a kit for my F-150. Single turbo pushing 420 RWHP...hmm. "here hemi hemi"

·
Registered
270 Posts
BLISTIC said:
Remove the turbo heat from the engine compartment heat.....the turbo becomes more efficient.
This is not an entirely true statment. Unless you are refering to an intercooler absorbing the heat.
Its also a little confusing.

If you are truely looking at turbo kits, do some reading up on the subject. It will help you chose a kit based on what you believe to be the best kit. Not based on hype, bling, or magazine nutswinging.

I could get into some info , but it would require its own forumn. Check out a wite like turbomustangs.com also. There is tons of good basic info there.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turdburgler said:
BLISTIC said:
This is not an entirely true statment. Unless you are refering to an intercooler absorbing the heat.

If you are truely looking at turbo kits, do some reading up on the subject. It will help you chose a kit based on what you believe to be the best kit. Not based on hype, bling, or magazine nutswinging.

I could get into some info , but it would require its own forumn. Check out a wite like turbomustangs.com also. There is tons of good basic info there.
No an intercooler cools the intake charge. I am talking about the effects the radiant heat that is generated from the turbo into the engine compartment and vice versa. Also relocating the turbo removes the clutter from the already tight and confined mustang engine compartment.

I am not looking for anyone to tell me how to select a turbo kit. This was just a simple post to pass on the info to the people on this forumn.
My intention was not to get indepth on this subject. }:|

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
BLISTIC said:
Turdburgler said:
BLISTIC said:

No an intercooler cools the intake charge. I am talking about the effects the radiant heat that is generated from the turbo into the engine compartment and vice versa. Also relocating the turbo removes the clutter from the already tight and confined mustang engine compartment.

I am not looking for anyone to tell me how to select a turbo kit. This was just a simple post to pass on the info to the people on this forumn.
My intention was not to get indepth on this subject. }:|
Hey BLISTIC, do you know of any remote turbo kits? :p

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Where's the air filters located in that kit?
You definitely need to use this setup on an engine that makes good torque, because there is surely a good amount of turbo lag with the turbos mounted that far away from the engine.
I saw the Horsepower TV install on the Vette, and can only say that while it looks good for an application where the turbos can't be mounted under the hood (like the vette), I'm not sure how that setup would fair in day to day rustbelt driving. There are many ways to decrease underhood temps in a turbo's car - You don't have to remove them from the compartment to accomplish that.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/universal/S10.jpg

Same place as they always put them on turbos.

I thought it was a newer Mustang Convertible that Horsepower TV put the rear mounted turbos on? They made a comment before they accelerated about if you are skeptical of turbo lag, then listen for yourself and they took off. Didn't appear to have any lag from what i could tell.

BTW the horsepower figures on the F150 from their site appear to be the smaller 4.6L engine.

IIRC, the new GTO cars have rear mounted turbos from the factory. Haven't heard any feedback on that system and if there is any lag. Then again that system isn't from STS either.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some f-150 do come with 4.6's. Mine has the 5.4. Liek I said "Here hemi hemi"

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Yeah my buddy has one with the 4.6L. I looked at the HP/TQ figures after the turbo and wondered what was up, as they weren't much higher than the stock figures. Had to do some googling to figure out the 4.6L stock figures.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I want to know how they can claim 50% hp increase with only 5psi. That defies the laws of physics. They claim that typical gains on a 300 hp engine to be 150 hp gain to 450 hp total at 5psi. That is fairy tale like. Makes me wonder what else they claim is BS.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
laws of physics...they also said back in the day more than one Hp per cubic inch was against the law of physics....here is a blurp from Saleen and their supercharger.
Keep in mind the RWHP on a new 07 is 286HP
:05-06 Saleen 3V Supercharger
Part Number: 10-1607-B11313*
Supercharge your 2005-2006, 4.6, 3V Mustang GT to over 400 hp and 420 lb of torque. It has a unique inverse design and open bends coupled with twin screw blower assembly, pushes air directly into the combustion chamber. It is compact, lightweight and highly efficient, the blower housing, assembly and intercooler in one compact unit nestles neatly in the valley between the heads. Maximum air flow with less than 5 lbs of boost - less engine stress and heat. The Saleen-SC kit includes benefits from a specific Saleen PowerFlash performance computer.

Of course we all know that the turbo is more efficient than the supercharger...or am I gonna have to go into detail :p

·
7,124 Posts
There's an article in MM&FF this month about putting turbos on a supercharged cobra. The turbos feed the blower. They were getting 44 psi of boost or some godawful thing.

It's all fun until the block grenades.

BTW...with no other changes, you should be able to VERY ROUGHLY estimate a boosted engines power by taking it's normal power and multiplying it times the total boost in atmospheres. There's roughly 14.7 psi in an atmosphere. That's about what the absolute pressure of the Earth's atmosphere is at sea level. If you add 5 psi of artifical boost you end up with 1.34 Atmospheres absolute pressure...so you could roughly guesstimate a 34% increase in power due to boost. However, in practice that could vary widely.

I would think that 50% increase would be on the HIGH side. If you're selling something, you need to stress the positive. Like those magnets for your fuel lines? They guarantee an increase of 0 to 50% in MPG! What a deal.

Phil

1 - 20 of 45 Posts