Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Fel-Pro 289 engine gasket set and it included 2 bolts, 1 long and another longer, in a bag with the water pump set. Why are these parts included?

·
Premium Member
7,433 Posts
Hmm? I would want to know too. Not knowing, specifically, which two, I can only guess they are two that enter the water jacket, thus, are prone to corrosion? If true, that's a nice kit.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Those usually are for the thermostat housing (3/8-16 I believe). These bolts tend to get a lot of corrosion. Compare them to your original bolts and they should match up.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I received my Fel-Pro 289 engine gasket set and it included 2 bolts, 1 long and another longer, in a bag with the water pump set. Why are these parts included?
Like these?

Definitely water pump not thermostat housing though.

From a Gates "China" early water pump that I chose not to use. Either corrosion as previously mentioned, or replacement casting thickness? good question!

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
297 Posts
Photo will help..
I suspect Nailbender is on the right path with water pump casting differences..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts