Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be living under a rock! What does "two part epoxy primer" mean? Last car I painted used sandable spray paint can primer. I used a primer/sealer just prior to applying the epoxy paint, but that was months later.

This "two part epoxy primer" seems to be the best way to paint the undercarriage and engine bay (prior to a black sheen paint for the engine bay, seam sealer, and undercoating).

Help!!

G

·
0 Posts
Two Part primers is just as it sounds. you have the "base" primer that you mix with a catalyst. Some require a 30 min. set up time before spraying, but it dries to a really hard surface that sometimes is even too hard to sand! You have to top coat it with sandable primer within 3 hours. It's really great stuff to use. But don't get hung up on name brands such as PPG or Dupont. There is "generic" paint brands that cost half the money and are twice the paint. When you don't have to sponsor a NASCAR or INDY driver and his team, you can sell your product for a lot less. Ex: PPG's epoxy primer in 1 qt. with a pint of catalyst is $55. The off name brand (cannot remember the name right now) is $78 a GALLON with catalyst. Shop around. WORD OF WARNING!! DON'T EVEN THINK OF USING THIS STUFF WITHOUT A RESPERATOR!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
In addition to what ScottsGT said, you might want to check out a great source for all you want to know about body prep and painting--Autobodystore.com. I've learned a ton from those guys. Also, you can ask Cruzer (a VMFer). If you've seen any of his work you can tell he knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've used PPG epoxy primer. It's non-sandable meaning it can be topcoated within 24 hours without sanding, after 24 hours, the primer should be scuffed.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I have found that letting the primer sit for approx 30 mins AND adding a bit of reducer makes it "fluffier" as far as sanding goes.......if you shoot it too soon, it will almost be like a semi gloss sheen....ask me how I know....

The reduced primer went on smooth and it was a dream to sand
and work with.....I didn't get that feathering edges jutting through the top layer of primer either....

As with all hazardous materials use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

I do like using PPG it is a good product.

primer and the hardener/catalyst.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You're right about using a mask! The hardner is what gets people down the road. Of course, doing any spraying with a gun you should use a mask (resperator) or you'll have colored boogers for a week! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Plus the flu like feelings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts