Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of going with a HEI distributor, who has them and whats your opinion? And can someone identify this cam, at the end it says TM 669, I think it's a crane. fifteen years old.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I don't like 'em...too big, ugly and expensive. Duraspark? Almost looks stock, and cheap! ::
--Kyle

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Way back, 15 years ago now when I worked in a parts store, TRW cams had the prefix TM on every one of their cams. IIRC, small block Chevy was a TM274, can't remmeber the Ford number but I still remember the Chevy one.

I agree with the other poster, the HEI is big and ugly, why put something like that where people can see it? A MSD is a better alternative form a price standpoint, or use something made by MSD or even that new Crane unit.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I have one and it runs fine. Even though some say it is big and ugly, it isn't that bad. Plus, it gets rid of the big and ugly MSD Box, the big and ugly Coil and all of the associated wiring.

Mine is a DUI, but is nearly the same as a Proform...

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/03/013/7B/FD/27/B9/3b-w8iXTDyCmnU44lWhAzIUTC5nWAv7s0280.jpg

So, I chose it to simplify all of my wiring. It takes just one wire from your ignition switch to get it going and one wire for the tach, if you have one.

Mine dynoed out at 448 HP with my 347 stroker and 385 HP with my 329 stroker, so they are also reliable....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dude...it cleans up under the hood and gives you better performance and reliability. Unless you are going for concours....I wouldn't sweat it. Anybody who says they look cheap don't know what they are talking about....and they definitely haven't bought one.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I bought a DUI but never used it. The problem I had was I needed a 14" drop base air cleaner to keep the stock hood. With the DUI, you have to use a smaller air cleaner, which meant I couldn't have a drop base. I still have it, brand new, in the box.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I bought a 13" Motorsport air cleaner. I don't know if there are any drop base offset 14" assemblies.

Too bad, you haven't used DUI. I have had it for 5 years without a problem.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I looked pretty hard for a smaller dropbase air cleaner and couldn't find anything. I really did want to use the DUI. I ended up with a Crane small cap distributer and box. What I like about it, is that both advance curves are externally adjustable.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The advantages out way the disadvantages. I bought a procomp pro billet hei distributor yesterday. thanks all for the info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts