Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get ready. This is my first post and it's kind of long. I have two questions related to the driver and passenger windows of my 68 coupe. I've had this car since I was 16 (I'm 35 now) and it's seen little use in the last 10 years. I keep it as second car and drive it only a couple times a month. I've neglected it for a long time and now I'd like to start fixing some of its many problems.

Here's window problem No. 1: I have done a lot of stupid things in my life including using vice grips as a drivers side window crank. Now, of course, the thing that the crank attaches to (is it called a spline, maybe?) is all stripped and ground down. I'm guessing the only way to remedy this is to replace the entire regulator. Or is there another way?

Problem No. 2: The passenger side window will not stay in the full up position. After I roll it up, over the course of a couple days, it always creeps down 1-2 inches. This is not due to road vibration as it occurs even when the car is parked. What's the remedy for this? The problem began after the door shell was replaced due to a collision. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It sounds like both the window regulators need to be replaced. The first one is because you striped the handle spline. and the second sounds as if the tension spring in shot.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,855 Posts
I've had luck just replacing the "regulator". Meaning the small splined assembly that you've stripped. It's held onto the "scissors" assembly by 3 small rivets. I believe these are sold separately, but often the complete assembly is termed the "window regulator" which can be confusing when trying to order parts. Me being a scrounger, I discovered that ones from 79-93 Mustangs were a perfect fit. Of course the entire assembly is nothing like it, but the regulators are pretty much identical once you have the rivets drilled out. The rivets are simply replaced with 1/8" steel pop-rivets from the hardware store (you'll need a rivet gun).
My passenger side window also had the "sags". Just replacing the regulator and lubing everthing fixed it up like new. If you buy new regulators, the replacement procedure is the same.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ausmad and GypsyR!

Since I'm easing myself back into working on this car, I elected to go the easy route and ordered a repro regulator from NPD for the driver's side. If it works OK, I might be emboldened to try GypsyR's method and go scrounging for parts on the passenger side.

Which brings me to a question about installation. I've read that the window should be wedged in the up position for the reguator install? Or should it be down? Will the answer be obvious to me when I remove the door panel and have a look inside?

Again, thanks for the advice. I've been registered on the forum for only 24 hours and already I'm reaping benefits. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts