Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to put the dash back into the Mach (70mach.blogspot.com) - so I got the new dash pad out of the box today - Dashes Direct: 1969 - 1970 MUSTANG ORIGINAL DASH PAD NO AIR - top looked great but the passenger side edges were not smooth and when I went to install the clock panel - nothing lined up.... Has anyone else had this issue - is this typical of this vendor's product?

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
i had a NOS dash pad for my 65 and it had shrunk. it had ben in the original ford box for probably 30 years. as i was test fitting it it started tearing so it went in the trash. my guess is the foam and vinyl shrink if not installed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'll go back to what i've said in the past... How the heck do we restore our Mustangs with crap like this? These companies have no quality control just throw it in the box and sell it to some poor bastard that works hard to afford his only hobby. Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm not sure i've ever got a part that didn't have "SOME" defect and between 2 69 sportsroof cars my father and I have spent roughly $20,000 on poor quality parts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I can't comment on fitment, as my OE Tooling Dashes Direct non-air pad hasn't been fitted, but my pad doesn't have the rough edges near the clock panel as you illustrate in the second pic. I would consider this a defect, don't consider this typical (based on my pad and several others I've seen), and would request a return from the vendor that sold you the pad - the vendor should assist in getting a replacement with smooth edges in the pictured areas. And yes, it can be a pain to get quality parts even for premium and OE Tooling items...I went through three sets of Dashes Direct '70 deluxe door panels before I got an acceptable pair.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The problem with returning many of these less than perfect parts is time. Many of us purchase items many months if not years before we actually use them. I for one have thousands of dollars worth of new parts in a large cabinet, many of which are 1 to 10 years old. Including a new Ford tooling 69 dash pad that's about 4 years old. While I do have all of the receipts I think I'd be laughed at if I tried returning something. One of the things we have to deal with when "life" gets in the way of our restoration more than expected.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I just installed the same dash in my project recently. The first pic looks similar to mine, that rough area and gap I could live with because after it's installed you really can't see it. That second pic to me is the problem, it looks jacked up big time on the edge where it meets the clock panel, no issues in this area on mine. Once it's set in place, that big gap will close when the clock panel is completely fastened. I couldn't live with yours and would swap it for another. Good luck!, if you'd like pics of mine installed let me know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice - I sent Dashes Direct an email with pics and I'll talk to the local Scott Drake dealer that I purchased it from to see if I can get a replacement. I ran into the same thing with the rear bumper (1970 Mach1 Reconstruction: Step 20 - Rear Bumper) -- the vendor would not accept an exchange because almost a year had gone by since I purchased it. Lesson learned - inspect everything with a critical eye...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Am curious, is that dash advertised as a "Ford Tooling" dash? I bought mine when I first bought my car last year and its still in the box. Am wondering if I am in for the same experience as you....

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I went with a rule of thumb. Hard parts I would buy ahead of time. Soft parts, seat covers, dash pads, door panels, I would order as needed and usually install right away. I would check fitment of skins and fenders, but I they won't lose there shape over time if put up on a shelf or in the loft in the garage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I got a Dashes Direct pad for my 70, first one I returned with a big (dime size) melted spot just above the radio, the second one is ok and has nice edges, but is short where it meets the plastic trim pieces at both ends and the center, there is about 1/4" gap at each location, I will try to adjust by reaming some holes and it will hopefully close the gap.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
i got mine last year and it def we was very rough around the edges and about 3/8 short on the lower pass side by the door jam.
like im nutz mentioned.....not the best fit either for the pass side front up top near the windsheild. looks almost 1/4 too big. I had to force it in place and if you look hard enuf youll see its not flush with the corner edge

I also had to drill out the 3 screw holes up top. the indentations where there but not the holes.
i thought about returning it but didnt want to deal with the hassle.

other than that it looks really great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts