Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is putting a new clutch in a 67 200CI Conv. He also intends to change the U-Joints. In taking it apart he found that "Bubba" welded the rear U-joint to the rear axel yoke. It was welded because the joint didnt fit properly. The car is a manual 3 speed which shows in the NPD catalog as having two possible size u-joints. We think that somewhere along the line the car's transmnission was changed and the U-joint sizes got crossed up. The front joint fits fine in the yoke and the drive shaft. The rear is the problem. Does anyone know of a place that might make a hybrid u-joint so we can get the rear of installed. Its like the joint size on the drive shaft is larger that that of the rear yoke.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You can use calipers to messure the inside dia of the u-joint holes and size it that way, also the length and width.If you cannot do this take the driveshaft to your local parts store, even Ford dealers can help with this.They will messure for the u-joint you need. The usual ones for the back have two different sizes on the v-8's so maybe it is similar with the 6's.
If the one you have now fits the diff.Take it with you as well so that they can match it up as well.
Don

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Most driveshaft places have "frankenstein" u joints for such applications. I had to get one for when I put my T5 behind my 200, but kept my original 2.77 3Spd driveshaft yoke.

Slade

1 - 4 of 4 Posts